Saturday 21 June 2014

Thirteen Crucifixions 10


 Here's the latest from my novel.




                                                      1985


Glen, as usual, was not surprised to see Pierre and Stephen at their usual table in Chino's.  It seemed early in the day, for Stephen, who usually did not rise before noon. He hadn't expected to see Barbara with them.  Stephen, as usual, pretended to ignore him as he sat down at their table.  Barbara raised her arms to hug Glen, then slid over for him to sit beside her.

“What brings you out so early?” he said to Stephen.

“It’s already ten for fuck sake.”

“It’s actually only ten thirteen”, Pierre said, smirking.

“Oh we are very witty and on the ball today now aren’t we?”

“You guys!” Barbara said.  “Glen, it is so wonderful seeing you.  How have you been?  You are looking great.”

“Thank you.  So are you.”

“Oh, God no, I look like crap today.  Everything’s out of whack right now.”

“I haven’t noticed.”

“Don’t mind me. " She looked flustered and lowered her head, as though to avoid looking at a bright headlight.  "It’s retired catwalk syndrome.  I’m never good enough.”

“When did you leave the industry?”

“At least three years ago.  I was only in it for a couple of years.  Just enough to make my splash, and then the camera couldn’t forgive that first wrinkle.  I really can’t complain though, I mean how many women don’t get into modelling until they’re thirty-four, then sweep the whole international scene off it’s feet for a while.  Rafael always told me that I was a one and only.”

“Do you still see him?”

She shuddered.  “Just the other day.  I don’t know what he’s doing here and I don’t want to find out.”

“Who the fuck’s Rafael” Stephen asked.

“Someone who looks just like you only at least ten years older.”

“Then I want to meet him.”

“No you don’t”, Glen said.

“I’m not going to suck his cock, not if he looks like me.”

“I look like you and you suck my cock”, Pierre said.

“Hey, there’s a lady present”, Glen said.

“There’s more than one lady at this table,” said Pierre.

“It’s okay, Glen, I’m sort of used to it.  And actually, I think they’re just doing it to get you.  Until you joined us they were both being almost perfect gentlemen.”

“I would have loved to see that.”

“Blackmail will get you nowhere”, Stephen said.

“So what brings you out this morning?” Glen said.

“Boredom”, Pierre said.  “You just missed Pamela.”

“Pamela?”

“That rich old lady whose husband Margery is taking care of.”

“How did you meet her?"

“She tried to pick us both up here yesterday”, Stephen said.

“No.  Get serious.”

“We’re going to be her fancy boys, once the old man’s dead”, Pierre said.

“Tell me you’re joking.”

“Have you ever met her?” Barbara said.

“No.  Margery’s told me a little bit about her but you know how discreet and taciturn she is.”

“What was she doing in a place like this?”

“Slumming”, Pierre said.

“If she wants to slum, then I’m sure she could set her standards a little bit higher.”

“Never mind”, Stephen said.  “You should of seen her.  All decked out in mink.”

“Get real.”

“No, seriously”, Barb said.  “She might be rich but that woman has no fashion sense whatsoever.  The makeover I’d give her if she’d let me get my hands on her.  And she’s a beautiful woman.  But typical rich British matron.  They don’t know how to dress themselves.”

“So who is Rafael?” Stephen asked Barbara.

“Maybe another time.”

“What?  Is he nasty.”

“Evil is the word.  Please, could we change the subject?”

“Introduce us.”

“Promise you’ll change the subject." Barbara said in a flat voice.  "I’m quite serious."  The sight of her arched brow and firmly pressed lips were enough to shut him up.  "So Glen, what are your plans today?”

“I don’t have to work.  I’m free all day.”

“Then, let’s hang out, shall we?  I mean all of us”, she said, nervously eyeing Stephen and Pierre.”

“Oh, don’t let the children spoil all your nice grown-up fun”, Stephen said.

“He isn’t used to getting up this early in the morning”, Pierre said.

“Like fuck I’m not”, Stephen said, doling out to everyone the same poisonous glance as he got up, threw on his jacket, and stormed out of the coffee shop.  Pierre went running out after him as Barbara and Glen tried to act as though nothing had just happened.  He at least felt relieved now of the usual baby-sitting duties that had come to characterize their visits.  Finally, a day off without Stephen or Pierre, and now someone interesting and not so familiar to share it with.  He almost expected that Barbara would take out her compact from her purse and powder her nose, or apply mascara or lipstick or something.  Then, looking at her closer, he saw that she wore no discernable make-up at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment