Thursday 15 October 2015

Places Where I've Lived: Mount Pleasant 3

My employment was a bit inconsistent while I lived in the housekeeping room on West Fifteenth Ave.  I have already mentioned that I spent my first five or six months delivering flyers all over the Lower Mainland.  I did not love this job but it was quick money, and the fresh air and exercise were a bonus.  I met a lot of interesting people, and some for the short term became friends.

There was one fellow about my age: we visited each other and had meals together.  A profoundly sensitive young man who seemed to have no direction in life.  We didn't stay in contact for long.  I didn't realize, though suspected, that he might have a mental illness.  We lost contact with each other and within a few years I began to see him on the street, anonymous, faded, mumbling to himself while concealed behind dark sunglasses.  Only once in more than twenty years did he acknowledge me.

Following a magical High Spring I began to work in an elegant restaurant.  I was a dishwasher and lasted perhaps a few weeks.  Horrible work and the owners were nasty rich people who treated their staff like crap.  One day she, a blond German woman who looked like a Valkyrie having a very bad day, started screaming at me for not washing the windows correctly.  She had a reputation for being frightening.  In front of bemused customers I yelled back at her, something unprintable, threw my apron in her face and stormed out.

Through the Green House, the Mennonite house church where I worshiped, I became connected with a matron in West Vancouver, where twice a week I did the gardening.  I was connected by one of the residents of the Green House, a talented harpist who was in love with me.  The West Van Matron I would charitably describe as a small hippopotamus. she was a poet but I had no idea how she paid the mortgage of her not very cheap bungalow.  It was a nice gig and we seemed to enjoy chatting but I always had towards her a certain instinctive reserve.  When she asked me to take my shirt off while working on a hot summer day, I studiously left it on and continued to do so till she grew weary of my services and laid me off.  I think she was also a bit disenchanted when I called her on her racism, for example when she uttered disparaging remarks about Vietnamese Boat People.  She herself immigrated here from Eastern Europe many years ago and I did press this point home to her.  I did not regret leaving.

I found other work.  I spent the rest of the summer going door to door for subscriptions to the city directory and when that job ran out I applied as a parking lot attendant/cashier.  This job had me working graveyard shifts at the Hotel Vancouver site on weekends.  My life changed during this time.  During my time off I| was often up late at night and taking long walks in Queen Elizabeth Park and other places.  There was a certain contemplative beauty about these long solitary hikes in the small hours of the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment