Thursday 25 August 2016

Spanish Octopus

As many of you know, Gentle Reader, I specialize in accomplishing the impossible (we will pause five minutes as my swelled head shrinks to normal size).

Now, as I was saying, GR, I do have a reputation for being resourceful, for my ability of making the best maximum use with the very little I have at my fingertips. (we will pause another two minutes while my head finishes shrinking)

As you also know, one of these impossible accomplishments has been becoming fluent in a second language, Spanish in my case, after only beginning to learn it seriously while in my middle forties (I am sixty now, for those of you who have been kind enough to forget)  I did not have the money to go to university, nor to attend pricey language classes.  I bought a dictionary, a language workbook and networked with people.  I met others who spoke Spanish or were learning it and attended free or low cost conversation groups and classes, listened to radio programs in Spanish and wherever possible, bought books written and published in Spanish. 

When I finally got the internet at home, some fifteen years after everyone else did (I couldn`t afford it for the longest time, if you must know), I discovered a plethora of resources online.  Especially YouTube and Skype.  Every evening I play part of or an entire video documentary in Spanish.  I have thus gained a plethora of Spanish speaking friends, from Mexico, Colombia, Venezuela, El Salvador, the Dominican Republic, Peru, Honduras, and other places, mostly on Skype.  I have learned so much besides Spanish and my life is being continually enriched by these lovely new people as I learn more about their lives and sometimes even get to visit them in their country.

I especially have the blessing of my friend from Peru who lives here and we see each other regularly for language exchange, yes, but simply to hang out as buddies.

I feel like a Spanish octopus with my tentacles spread throughout Latin America.  A very blessed and happy Octopus.  My Spanish, while now fluent, still isn't perfect, but one day...Who knows?


No comments:

Post a Comment