Friday 7 April 2017

Free At Last

For the last twenty-four hours or so I have been deliriously happy.  Why?  Because finally I left a toxic work situation, and it all happened so beautifully.  While you are reading the rest of this blogpost Gentle Reader, please be so kind as to play this tune by the Soup Dragons https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVGf3ePIO04

Even though I can be at times, shall we say, playfully careless about naming persons on this page who have offended me (never piss off a blogger!), I am going to apply the most admirable restraint as I don't want this one to come back and bite me in the ass.

We'll say this much.  I ended up with a new supervisor who looks like, and in many other ways resembles, the late great Bette Davis.  And not in any way that I would call flattering.  What do you say when your supervisor looks like Bette Davis?  Nothing.  Absolutely nothing.  This woman has proved to be harsh, dictatorial, micro-managing, rude, condescending, mean-spirited and disrespectful.  I got sick of being constantly upset by that bitch (so sue me, L.!)

While I was away in March in Costa Rica I thought and considered, worried, dithered and planned my final exit from this toxic bitch of a supervisor.  I imagined and envisioned all kinds of worse case scenarios.  This much I knew: my next appointment with her, following my return from Costa Rica, would be for the signing of my new contract.  I would give her one last chance to prove that she is a human being.  Upon being disappointed I would let into her about what I had had to endure from her insults to my intelligence and dignity, give my notice and walk out.

I am glad to say that it has all happened much more gently.  When I returned home from my trip I left a message for the worksite manager to contact me as soon as possible.  My intention was to tell her about my difficulties with her subordinate, my supervisor, ask for support and advice, and perhaps quit, or maybe see if we could compromise.  Then I would speak to my other supervisor, the coordinator of the peer support program I work in.  We did end up having an excellent conversation on the phone and she gave me some invaluable advice about professionalism, tact and diplomacy.  Within a few minutes of our phone call the worksite manager phoned me and I simply told her that I was leaving, to please tell my coworkers how much I am going to miss them, and to convey my regrets to Bette Davis.

Easy-Peasy.

Meanwhile, on the same day, two of my other site supervisors have just given me more work, clients, hours, and this will mean more money.  This, just one day after filing my geezer papers.  That's right, I have just applied for early Canada Pension.  It will be a reduced amount but I will still be getting paid most of what I will have lost from leaving this position

My worklife is going to be simplified, more streamlined, with more time off and more money coming in.

Everything has happened professionally, tactfully and no feelings have been hurt.

I am still deliriously happy.   And free.

No comments:

Post a Comment