Sunday 1 April 2018

Fifth Time In Costa Rica, 27

Once again, this morning, while having breakfast, a little bird-the same one as yesterday, I think- kept trying to get through the window again. It´s a Kentucky Warbler. What brings him to Costa Rica, who only knows, likely a migratory bird, but there are quite a few around here. They´re really very pretty, tiny, with olive green back and bright yellow breast. But this bird, even though he could see me sitting close enough to grab him if I wanted to, kept flying at the glass, and seemed likely to be injuring what little brain he must have, so, this time I took action. I went outside and simply spoke to the bird in Spanish, telling him I didn´t want him to hurt himself and could he please fly somewhere else. He hung around long enough to hear my little lecture, then flew off into another part of the garden. He hasn´t come back. I have no idea what really must have been going on in his mind when I talked to him, but it seemed to work. One of my coworkers calls me the Bird-Whisperer, but really, I think that birds and other critters actually have a natural intelligence and curiosity. When they feel relatively safe and unthreatened around us they are more likely to show themselves and even appear more confiding. This isn´t to say that I have any special psychic or spiritual communication with birds, much as I love them. How the hell would I know, but it is fun to interact with them as they will allow me to. I spent the rest of the morning working on a new drawing and hanging out in my room, then I walked up to the reserve for hike number six since coming here. This has to be my best so far. I did see the quetzals again. Their nesting box was a bit hard too find, and I have to admit that my spatial perception leaves a lot to be desired (the dazzling beauty of the dense sun soaked foliage was also very distracting, but in a thoroughly enjoyable sense), but there they were, hubby and wifey hanging out together and watching over their kids. They seem like very devoted parents, and male and female coparent so beautifully that I think there is a lot we could learn from them. It also turns out they mate for life. Who would imagine that a bird so beautiful and full of rock star glamour and charisma like the quetzal would also turn out to be a faithful and lifelong spouse? There were very few people in the reserve today, which works for me. I spent at least three miles or longer hiking on a trail without seeing anyone. Every time I go in there it is so spectacular that it always feels like the first time for me, and this could give you an idea, Gentle Reader, how amazing this place is. As I am winding down this particular episode in Costa rica, I am thinking of one word that will define or contain the theme of this visit. That word is ¨receptivity¨. This has been a particularly rewarding month for me, just in staying open to other people, to the country, to the natural environment, and to the Holy Spirit. I know this is rather different from the kind of travel and tourism that many of us are used to: getting from one place to another in time to mark off all those items on our bucket lists, and then having lots to update our Facebook profiles. This is rather different. It means sacrificing convenience for time. So, I have been here for a month. I have been walking everywhere. I have also been taking time to rest, to observe, to talk to and listen to people, locals and other visitors, as well as to the incredible natural wonder and beauty of this place. I would have to call this by far the best of my five visits here so far. I have been telling other guests here that I meet and chat with that in order to really begin to appreciate Monteverde, one has to spend at least a week here. Or better, a month. And to keep returning and returning and returning again. Happy Easter and a hug to all of you, my Gentle Reader, and may this celebration of Our Lord´s Resurrection kindle in each one of us the light of hope, peace and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment