Tuesday 23 October 2018

City Of God 25

In my city, Vancouver, we have a new mayor and a new city council. Concern has been voiced that almost everyone on city council is white, and for this reason our large Asian and other non-white populations aren't going to feel represented. Let me break down my own process of voting, before we move on. We had, I think well above 150 candidates on the ballot this year, making voting a daunting process. We also had Asian-Canadian candidates, especially for mayor, and they did well in the polls. Had I agreed with their policies and platforms, I might have voted for them. However, the candidate who came in as a very close second, Ken Sim, son of Hong Kong immigrants, is a right-leaning and well-monied businessman with no political experience and little or no evident compassion for the poor and homeless in our city. For this reason he was not getting my vote. His race had nothing to do with it. Then there was Wai Young, born in Hong Kong, who campaigned on the promise of dismantling bike lanes and lowering taxes. No way I'm voting for someone with such backward policies, regardless of her experience as a Conservative MP in Ottawa. Oh, yeah, she's a Conservative. I do not vote for Conservatives, never have, never will. I also heard her speak on the radio: rude, obnoxious woman. I'm glad she didn't get in. During the 2014 election I did consider voting for Meena Wong, the COPE (Committee of Progressive Electors) candidate, but I decided to give Moonbeam, aka Gregor Robinson, the incumbent, another chance, but only for two reasons: 1. he appeared to be embarking on a fairy aggressive housing program for the homeless (still not enough) and his opponent from the right wing NPA (Non-Partisan Association), stood a strong chance of winning, so I voted strategically. Personally, I do not care about the racial or ethnic origins of our political representatives. And I also suspect white privilege when progressive pale faces whine and whinge that people of colour or visible minorities might not feel reflected or represented by so many Caucasians. This is typical white privilege thinking and it is patronizing. It is this assumption that every Chinese Canadian is going to cluster around the same candidate, not because of their policies and platform, but because they are Chinese Canadian. I happen to know for a fact that no one votes according to race, but they are going to pick candidates who are compatible to their values and desires and needs. Exactly the way that white folk vote. That's right, Whitey! The coloured folk are also thoughtful. And well-educated. And they don't think as a block. Just like everyone else. By the same token, even though I'm Caucasian (as far as I can tell!) there is only one new member of our freshly-minted almost all-white city council who comes even remotely close to representing me and my interest. That is our local legendary anti-poverty activist, Jean Swanson. Why? Because I have been homeless, and I am poor. Sheesh!

No comments:

Post a Comment