Wednesday 19 December 2018

Waking The Dead 5

If you're not angry then you haven't been paying attention. Yeah, I get it. But girls just wanna have fun. I just listened to most of a documentary on Ideas, CBC about alcohol, mostly negative, because alcohol is an addictive drug with, it turns out, zero health benefits. Then the documentary took an interesting turn at its conclusion, likely under orders of the CBC, since they have a very strong por-liquor lobby in their advertising and some of their programming. Basically, what was said, is that drinking is fun and good for you socially. Methinks the narrator had already had a few too many when he said that. Or his bosses at the CBC, which promotes a culture of alcoholism, had a gun to his head. Or maybe both. I know that drinking can be fun. I've done it myself, and I am glad to say that I have never had a problem with alcohol addiction. I did say a few things I had to live down, and the hangovers weren't much fun. And it isn't to say that there haven't been occasions where having one or two with enjoyable people hasn't been downright pleasant. I think it also reflects sadly on what a species of half-formed and half-baked beings we are, when it is commonly accepted that we have to have alcohol I order to make social interactions fun and enjoyable and that we can't really communicate well without putting one or two sheets to the wind. It's the same logic they use to justify codependent relationships with dogs, which is really to say that we are too damaged and challenged in our development as humans in order to form and maintain with other human beings healthy, enjoyable and constructive relationships. I used to stay in a beautiful boutique bed and breakfast in Mexico City, where they simply spoiled the guests and every evening we would all enjoy a glass or two or three of fine red wine on the house while chatting up a storm in the living room. Nothing wrong with that. And I think for some, the alcohol was a helpful lubricant, and for this, I feel kind of sorry for them. I have noticed that the most vocal proponents for alcohol, and public drinking, seem to be the kind of people who can't live without it themselves, and I think they are among the legions of undiagnosed alcoholics who live in this country. Whenever you hear the words responsible drinking, they are probably coming from people who, after they've had a few, themselves, are anything but. Remember that saying? Instant Asshole: just add alcohol and stir. I no longer drink. I've never cared much for the effects of alcohol, plus, it is expensive, and unhealthy, and I don't want to feel that I am contributing to a death industry. I don't always turn it down. If I'm at a dinner or a social gathering, and I'm offered a glass, likely I will accept, but chances are, I won't only stick to just one glass, but I probably won't even finish it. I think that what really helped cement my attitude about alcohol, besides having an alcoholic father, was a chance encounter I had one day, about eighteen years ago, or so, when I was myself living on social assistance. I did have a little extra money in my pocket and I was on my way to a favourite café downtown, Subeez (no longer there), for a glass of brown ale. It would be a treat. A young man on Granville asked if I could buy him a slice of pizza. I asked him how hungry he was. He said pretty hungry. I bought him two slices of pizza, which took care of most of my beer money. I went to Subeez anyway and enjoyed an Americano and nothing else. I have never bought alcohol for myself, nor for anyone, again. I understand that we are living in difficult and challenging times, and that we can't always live in a prolonged state of anguish and dread without exposing ourselves to serious harm. I recall during a book club discussion in a church I used to attend when the subject of global warming came up, and everyone was suddenly sad, anguished and morose about the state of the climate and the doom that awaits us all. I suddenly said, let's not forget whose earth this is, and maybe if we start to trust God more for our outcome we will find ourselves worrying less and actually working more effectively for the environment. I was roundly cursed for daring to ruin their enjoyment of their collective dread and it wasn't long before I had to leave that parish. As grim as our prospects might seem, I am still going to rejoice. I am still going to enjoy life, without the need for alcohol, and I am going to go on celebrating the presence of the living God in every moment of my life, because the joy of the Lord is my strength and it is that strength that will arm and empower us to meet the challenges ahead. Not by dreading the possible end, but by celebrating this divine gift of the present moment. The joy of the Lord is our strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment