Monday 28 July 2014

I Sold A Painting Today! WHEEEE!!!!!!

That's right everyone.  I just sold my first original artwork in almost six figgin' years.  Count 'em.  Six.  The last painting I sold was to a woman who liked one of my bird paintings she saw in a local café.  I no longer show in this place, even though the owner has asked me to, for the simple reason that she cannot be trusted.  The last time my work hung there it was all transported to a Thai restaurant unbeknownst to me, in another municipality and it was not easy tracking them down.  Then, the owners of said restaurant, who were in cahoots with the café owner, decided that they had an "agreement" with me and decided to keep one of them:



I had to work hard to get all my paintings back from these scoundrels including resorting to threats of police involvement and legal action. Then I put the parrot painting through a few changes, adding a huge white magnolia flower in the lower left hand and shining mango leaves above.  In 2008 this woman, a lady of a certain age bought this small beauty of a quetzal: She had never heard of or seen a representation of a quetzal and thought it was a pretty baby bird, rather like another woman of a certain age who commissioned a painting of a quetzal from me in 1997 because "They have such cute fuzzy little heads."  That's the sound of me gagging right now, in case you're wondering.

The painting of the quetzal was bought during one of our worst winters on record, between Christmas and New Years, 2008 and I had to trudge through some incredibly deep snow to collect for the art.  She seemed to expect friendship from me as well but this is a boundary I like to keep secure unless I am really aware of a positive and healthy connection, and that certainly did not exist for me with this dear lady.

My friend today bought actually not a painting, but commissioned from me a drawing of pencil crayon and coloured ball point pen of a painted bunting.  I don't have a photo image of the drawing but here is something from Uncle Google:

I think I've already mentioned it in an earlier post so I will try not to bore you again with it.

This commission also feels like a bit of a vindication.  The day after my friend gave me the commission I brought some sample paintings to the art and framing store next door to the café where we usually met.  The owner disdainfully refused to even look at my paintings and sent me packing.  Today, next door to his store, I collected $120 for the commissioned drawing and now I feel vindicated.

My friend also commissioned another painting from me in 2007 and here is the image:

I've got some cool friends, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment