Tuesday 22 July 2014

The Promised Land

It isn't that I don't have a lot to say.  I always have a lot to say which is why I write in this bloody blog every day.  But right now, I am busy, Gentle Readers.  I am in the middle of a life or death art commission.  I mean literally.  A dear friend has commissioned me to do a colour drawing of an incredibly beautiful songbird, a Painted Bunting from the American Deep South, where he is from and where his friend, for whom he has commissioned the drawing is living...and dying.  He wants her to have something beautiful to look at in her final months and this commission is for me a sad, but profound honour and I hope to give it my best.  Here is an image of the bird I am drawing with coloured pencils and coloured ball point pens:

Nifty bird, eh? 

I am also absorbed in a novel by Uruguayan writer/journalist/actress Isabel Pisano, titled "El Papyro de Sept, a long, very long story of 621 pages all in Spanish.  This is a library book, due in three weeks, with a possibility of two three week renewals.  I have to get it read and fast.  It is also a matter of discipline and role modeling.  I took it out of the library while I was with one of my clients.  One of her goals is to gain confidence accessing and utilizing library resources.  In other words, she needs to see that it is possible to enjoy and be responsible and disciplined with library books, getting them read, enjoying them and returning them on time.

So, Gentle Readers, in lieu of something more original to write, here is the one of my short stories, which is also my response to the Israel-Palestine conflict.  Happy reading!:  

No comments:

Post a Comment