Wednesday 26 February 2020

Colombia 12

Tomorrow we are driving to Medellín for three days.  We will return here to Madrid, then on Monday morning, early, I fly to Costa Rica.  Alonso is also in the process of moving to Medellin early in the week, so this is a transition time for both of us.  I haven't done a lot today, mostly hanging out with Alonso and trying to give hm support while he's getting everything organized.  We went for a walk this afternoon, then ended up going for coffee, then walked back, later going in the car to fuel up with death fuel for the eight and a half hour drive to Medellín tomorrow.

While we were at the service station I went to use the washroom.  It was locked and I asked the first person nearby if I needed a key.  He ignored me and it turned out to be one of two security guards driving an armoured truck with money in it.  They were of course carrying guns, but I didn't feel nervous or intimidated, just annoyed at their rudeness,  I rather see them as awkward little boys full of fear and self-importance, maybe why they are doing this kind of job? 

As we were driving back I noticed a highway sign that read, Encienda Luces.  Now Spanish has a reputation as a language that is beautiful, poetic, musical, sexy, but I'm less than convinced.  As much as I enjoy speaking it, and plan to keep learning and improving, for me it is just another language.  Perhaps familiarity has bred some contempt here.  But anyway, how many of you reading this page, who have no knowledge of Spanish, could actually guess what the words Encienda Luces would mean?  Perhaps it's the name of a magical colonial town.  Or maybe it's a heritage park, or an archeological site.  It might be the name of a restaurant, or a traditional dance.  Well, sorry to disappoint, but Encienda Luces means nothing else but turn on your headlights

We did have an interesting chat about this, and I mentioned to my friend that Colombia and Latin America in generaal, lost their charm for me many years ago.  But I still keep going back, and if you are wondering why, then it is for one simple reason: the people who live in these parts matter more to me than the places themselves.  In fact, I will go even a step further with this train of thought.  The people are the places.  And they are really no different from Canadians nor from other people who live elsewhere in the world.  Same problems, same virtues, same hopes, same fears..

If that's the case, then why even bother leaving home, you might ask.  For one simple reason: I only really began to appreciate, understand, value and really truly and rationally criticize my own dear little Canada after I began to travel a little.  There is something uniquely humanizing about getting out of your home environment, even if it means making yourself vulnerable, and that is exactly what has been happening for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment