Friday 21 February 2020

Colombia 8

Another interesting day here in Madrid, Cundinamarca.   It all started innocently enough.  The repairman came in to fix the washing machine, and Alonso and I sat around and talked and did some English practice, and he good naturedly accepted my teasing in two languages.  Later, as part of his English practice and to help me stay in touch with what's happening at home, we live streamed the Early Edition, the morning program on CBC, and this also gives Alonso an idea of what's going on in Vancouver.

He took off for work, and I took off for Madrid, walking on side streets again before ending up in the central plaza where I sat on a bench for a while.  Then I sat in a café for a while with my art, chatting intermittently with the owner, who also seemed to enjoy singing with the music she was playing.  Like so many who live here she says that she's never travelled outside of Colombia, and what for anyway when there's so much to see and do in Colombia.  I have heard Canadians say similar about Canada.  She also admitted that travel is expensive.

I did a walkabout in the area, then went into the wealthy, green and quiet side of town.  Isn't it interesting, Gentle Reader, just how often those three little words seem to get uttered in the same breath: wealthy, green and quiet?  I had a walk on the riverside path, taking care to avoid stepping in dogshit, which here in Madrid, is almost as plentiful as the blades of grass that it adorns.  Then I went onto a boulevard walkway full of trees and benches.  I came out on a circle and the one bench with shade was partly occupied by a security guard and his bicycle.  I approached him and politely asked if I could share the bench with him, given that the sum doesn't really agree with my pallid complexion. He was good humoured about it, then we had a pleasant chat in Spanish.  His two sons came over on a bike they were doubling on, one about seventeen, the other, maybe eleven. It was a pleasant visit, then they all went off for lunch somewhere.

I remained on the bench, then a lady of around sixty or so came and sat with me along with her grandson, who seemed about ten, and their little dog too.  She asked if they could practice their English with me, so we did a pleasant language exchange for around half an hour or so.  It came out that she is a strong Christian, herself, and the conversation got very interesting for a while.  We did agree that love and forgiveness are the most key words in the Christian life.  It only got a bit awkward when she asked me if I know where I'm going to spend eternity after I die.  I told her that that is something I don't worry about.  When she asked why, I replied that fear is not a good motive for following Christ, but love instead, and I also added that God is already very real and present for me, and that's how I base my life, and that really, our eternal destiny always begins here and now, with where we are and what we are doing with our lives, and how we treat others..  She couldn't argue with that.

I stopped in the grocery store in the big mall to buy som M and M's to replenish the white bowl on the table at home.  Once again the line up was stalled by an old woman fussing about all sorts of details about her purchase.  The cashier semed kind of irritated, and she and I exchanged rather sharp and knowing smiles once I made my purchase.  It turned out that I had exactly enough money left to purchase the chocolate with just one coin worth one Canadian dime left over, as I had forgotten to replenish my wallet before going out today.

On the way home I was harassed by yet another off-leash dog, a pit bull, thankfully wearing a muzzle.  He was dragging his leash behind him and his owners seemed really indifferent and oblivious as I told him to get lost, then told them to put him on a leash.  I think people like that often get a kind of sadistic thrill out of frightening strangers with their vicious dogs, which is probably why they have dogs like that in the first place.  They deserve each other.

I think I have already mentioned that I am staying in a gated community with several security guards on staff.  One of them, a rather miserable looking fellow around my age seems to have it in for me, and again tried to screen me with the third degree.  I tersely replied that I am staying with Alonso, suite 601, Tower 11, I am not a criminal, and I am from Canada, a peaceful and tranquil country, as I walked  away from him.  Then I was stopped by another guard who is friendly and already knows and likes me, and he just wanted to engage in some chit chat.  He mentioned a desire to improve his English, so I invited him to stop me anytime on the way if he wants to practice with me.  Then a different, older guard, who is also very kind stopped with us and joined the conversation, and thought of talking with me about tips for picking up women. Oops, wrong guy, so I politely backed out of that one and wished them a pleasant day.

No comments:

Post a Comment