Monday 6 July 2020

What's Next? 36

I am waiting.  We are all waiting.  That is all we can do.  Even though all future plans are suspended, we still make future plans.  We need to do this,.  We all need something to look forward to.  Even if we don't know what the future is going to hold.   I am still making future plans.  In January, maybe February, I am returning to Colombia to see my friends there.  Then, sometime in March, I expect, I shall go to Costa Rica to see my friends there.  If we are still not allowed to travel by them, then I shall postpone my trip, but I am still returning to see them. 

In the meantime, I see my friends in Colombia and Costa Rica often on Skype and Messenger.  Juan I see almost every day.  Alonso, twice a week or so.  Esteban once a week.  We speak lots of Spanish.  The first two I also help with their English.   We can maintain and develop our friendships even from a distance of three to four thousand miles.  Thank you, Uncle Google!  It is a bit surreal, because this is like having them over to visit in my apartment several times a week.  I don't expect there will be a lot of novelty or surprise left when we do get around to seeing each other in person.  I'm not worried at all.

Every day, there is something to look forward to.  We cannot really plan or control the future, but we can perhaps attend to the next twenty-four hours.  Every day, I look forward to seeing one of my friends on telechat.  And seeing or texting with other friends.  Every day, I look forward to working well on the phone with my clients.  Every day I look forward to a different, maybe even a slightly different, walking route.  Every day there is going to be something to surprise or even dazzle a little.    Every day, I look forward to expressing kindness and friendship to others, be they strangers or people I already know.  Every day, I look forward to some new insight about my life.  Every day, I look forward to doing my art.  Every day, I look forward to finding some way to creatively overcome the stifling monotony that we are all having to live with right now. 

Every day is new.  Each moment a gift.  Do not forget this, Gentle Reader.

All for now, duckies!

No comments:

Post a Comment