Friday 27 February 2015

Thirteen Crucifixions, 106



            “Would you like some supper?”

            “If it isn’t any trouble.”

            “None at all.  I managed to salvage some leftover quiche from work. And some pasta salad.  We can eat in ten minutes.”

            “Anything I can do?” asked Lazarus.

            “Set the table, butter some bread.  How was your day?”

            “Didn’t do a lot.  Hung out on the Drive, looked in some stores.”

            “Did you work today?”

            “No.  I haven’t quit yet.  Can’t make up my mind, I guess.”

            “Unless it’s a really miserable situation I wouldn’t recommend quitting their job to anyone.  It’s so hard to find employment these days.”

            “How long have you been waitressing?”

            “Eight years.  I’m actually part-owner.”

            “Like it?”

            “I like the West Wind.  Waitressing’s hard work.  But it’s a nice, casual sort of atmosphere.  Anyone can feel welcome there”, Sheila said.

            “Michael says you were doing social work.”

            “We were operating a drop-in centre.  We had to close because of funding cuts.”

            “You like people?”

            “No.  I don’t, really.”

            “But you like helping them?”

            “Somebody has to do it.

            “Don’t you get anything out of it?”

            “I never think in those terms.”

            “Do you do it out of a sense of duty?”

            “I don’t really think about it.”

            “But there must be some kind of pay-off.”

            “Oh, probably.  But I never think about it.  If I get warm and fuzzy from doing someone a good turn I don’t really notice it at all.”

            “Would you say that helping others is a part of your nature?”

            “It’s part of human nature.”

            “Then you believe that people are naturally good?”

            “No I don’t.  But I don’t believe we’re naturally evil either.  We make choices.  Often wrong ones. But we make them all the same.”

            “Do you choose to be good?”

            “I try to choose against doing evil.  I suppose that’s why I help people.”

            “But you don’t get anything out of it.”

            “What’s there to get?  It seems that people nowadays assume that in doing someone a good turn, you’re being extraordinary and god-like.  That’s complete egoism.  It’s a matter of duty.  Part of my being, part of your being is that we are two persons among so many others, and the way we treat others is going to have lasting consequences.”

            “What goes around comes around?”

            “Yes.  What are your plans for the evening?” Sheila asked Lazarus.

            “It’s nice out.  I’m going for a bike ride.  What are you doing?”

            “My ex-husband is coming over with his current girlfriend.”

            “How do you feel about that?”

            “I like Persimmon.  Bill is a bit tiresome.”

            “How long do you think they’ll be here?”

            “Oh, don’t worry, you’re perfectly welcome to be here.  How’s the quiche?”

            “Hits the spot.  Sheila?”

            “Yes?”

            “What’s it like being Michael’s mother?”

No comments:

Post a Comment