Sunday 22 February 2015

Thirteen crucifixions,101


“More cocoa?”

            “Yes.  Please.”

            “How do you feel?”

            “Alright.  Better.”

            “Can you explain what just happened?”

            “PMS.”

            “But nothing personal?”

            “Nothing.”

            “Margery?”

            “Yes Dwight?”

            “We do love each other.”

            “Yes.”

            “Maybe not as husband and wife?”

            “It doesn’t matter.  Does it?”

            “No.”

            “Dwight?”

            “Yes?”

            “Are you sorry?”

            “About?”

            “That I’m not a conventional wife, that—I don’t share your bed?”

            “No.”

            “Are you telling me the truth?”

            “I can’t go back.”

            “What do you mean?”

            “I can’t go back, not to what I had with Jeanette.  I’m no longer there.”

            “Me neither, I guess.”

            “What are we doing together?”

            “I don’t know.”

            “I suppose it’s better than not being together.”

            “I suppose it is.”

            “But you are not convinced?”

            “I am, actually.  But I’m going to need some time alone.”

            “Me too.”

            “How are we going to do this?”

            “I’ve been offered the use of a condo in Grand Cayman Island for next month.”

            “Take it.”

            “You don’t mind?  I was afraid you might.”

            “Don’t be a ninny.  Just go.”

            “You’ll be okay?”

            “I have Carol and Glen, and I suppose Doris and maybe Greg if I should start hitting the walls.”

            “You honestly don’t mind?”

            “You don’t need my permission.”

            “It isn’t as if we’re actually married.”

            “It isn’t as if we’re chained to each other.”

            “How’s your cocoa?”

            “Wonderful.  Hey, Dwight?”

            “Yes?”

            “I think I’m going to change my surname.”

            “To?”

            “’Orion’.  ‘Margery Orion’”.

            “I like that.”

            “I figured you would.”

            “But why not your first name too?”

            “For instance?”

            “Andromeda.”

            “Andromeda Orion.  Maybe.”

No comments:

Post a Comment