Tuesday 2 June 2015

Vengeance, 4


Esperanza sits at the foot of the bed and produces from her pants pocket a small plastic rectangle.  It takes a little while for him to figure out that it is a phone.

"Father Joseph gave me this.  Today," she says with a gentle triumphant smile.  It is still difficult for him to accept that now almost everyone carries with them their own little phone.  He doesn't understand texting and has never accessed the internet.  There is a lot he cannot fathom.

"That's a phone?"

"It's an I phone.  From Father Joseph."

"Who is Father Joseph?"

"He is my parish priest.  He is helping us both get out of here."

"Us?"

"Don't you want to leave this house, Mr. Douglas?"

"I want to know where I'm going."

"We've been working for you for months, Mr. Douglas.  There is a bed for you."

"A bed?"

"A bed in your own private room."

"But I have that here."

"With an elevator and no son who is trying to kill you."

He stares grim-face, not at but past her.

"Your son, the young Mr. Douglas, was trying to kill you, Mr. Douglas.  You did not have a stroke.  He put extra pills in your food.  He made me do it.  Mr. Douglas, I had no choice.  He had my passport.  I couldn't leave without his permission.  I had to convince him that I was completely on his side and that I wouldn't do anything to betray him before he would let me attend church.  There were people there who would help us.  Mr. Douglas, I am sorry.  Please forgive me.  I have already confessed to Father Joseph who gave me Ensure and extra food to give you.  See how much better you are, Mr. Douglas?  Your son would have me thrown out of this country if he knew that I was feeding you.  He still thinks I am giving you poison, those medications."

"You say he HAD your passport."

She pulls another rectangle from her pocket.  "I found it last week while cleaning his office.  He still doesn't know I've got it."  The smile fades from her round brown angel face.  "I've come up to help you pack and then I am making some phone calls."

No comments:

Post a Comment