Thursday 17 December 2015

A Room In The Sky 3

Even with my limited resources I still enjoyed having friends over to visit for coffee, for dinner, to enjoy the view.  I have long enjoyed and done well with the challenges of my life situations.  Unable to upgrade to a more affluent or better appointed way of life I have come to celebrate the power of imagination and creativity. Every place where I've lived I have sought and always succeeded in making it beautiful as well as celebrating and drawing out the beauty that was already there.  I cannot imagine living any other way.

Generally the other men in the house and I maintained a careful distance from one another.  This was actually a very sad and pathetic way of cohabiting: this each tenant being picked without input by the others by an ethically challenged slumlord more interested in collecting rent than facilitating a liveable environment.  We lived each in his own miserable solitude.  The idea of sharing a meal was of course verboten.  Shortly after the young crack head moved into the room next to mine the grease monkey moved out.  He was succeeded by a young man, a hairdresser separated from his wife.  He took an immediate and rather scary liking for me.  He wanted to go out for coffee with me.  We had really a very enjoyable visit in Café Waazubee.  When we got back to the house Young Hairdresser (so sue me Earl!) wanted to know if I was gay.  I mumbled something noncommittal and he decided that I was and then he really wanted to hang out with me in my room.  I reluctantly invited him up but was somehow too naïve to weigh the consequences.  Earl was a Christian struggling with his faith and by his admission with his own sexuality.   I didn't know what to do or say but we were soon spending many evenings in my room or out for coffee, talking and praying together.  I did his portrait and gave him a large painting, thinking that I really didn't need it.  In those days I was recklessly generous with my paintings and soon saw a disturbing pattern: the surest way to end a friendship, sooner or later, was by giving any of my friends one of my original paintings, no strings attached.  Says a lot about my friends, eh?

During that time a young man who was a barista at a café on Main Street where I also hung out befriended me and agreed to model for a portrait with the proviso that once I showed it he could have it for free.  Earl saw him going up to my room with me.  He wanted to know who he was.  I told him.  The next day he turned viciously against me.  I was woken earlier than seven in the morning by his knock on my door and his demand that I return to him immediately my key to his room.  I had reluctantly accepted his key a couple of weeks before, never used it and never intended to, though he insisted I keep it.  One of the symptoms of the complex PTSD that I exhibited and suffered from at that time was an almost toxic passivity, a proclivity for letting people get away with murder with me, a tragic failure to set boundaries.  I slipped the key under the door.  I soon discerned that he was in a jealous rage and had ended the friendship based on my alleged whatever with the other young man. 

I never bothered to demand the painting back.  He had already paid for his portrait.  He soon after moved out, allegedly back with his wife.  I learned quite an interesting set of lessons here but I trust greatly in your refined intelligence, Gentle Reader, and I am sure you will not have to labour to read between the lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment