Tuesday 20 December 2016

Creeping Christmas 1

I'm not sure, Gentle Reader, if I have already written a previous post with this title, if so then please excuse the repetition.  Five days to go.  It isn't so onerous this year, for some reason.  Perhaps because I have been invited for Christmas dinner.  Twice.  This is the first time this has happened for me in well over a decade.  Can it get any better?  This of course was one of the principal causes of my depression over many recent Christmases past: this sense of living without a family, not being wanted by my "friends."  I have had various people over for brunch Christmas morning in recent years, a privilege usually reserved for friends also at loose ends.  Besides this, I have had Christmas dinner at work since 2008.  The new clinical supervisor is a bit of a Scrooge, I'm afraid, and has declared no dinner for the peer support worker this Christmas, but I still get paid two hours to be there from two till four in the afternoon on Christmas Day.  My employers save two hours pay, or twenty-four whopping bucks for not paying me for two hours (yes, I am paid a measly twelve bucks an hour for what I do: just a bit more than a dollar above minimum and ten bucks less than a living wage).  However, a friend has invited me for Christmas dinner this year, after work, and yes I am going.

I am doing better than usual at ignoring Creeping Christmas.  All the obnoxious Christmas music that started before Halloween is only white noise and twice today, on the CBC, they played one Christmas song that I like: Mary's Boy Child by Bony M.  Listen...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxm1FlLSfe4 ...

I like it even better than Rah Rah Rasputin!  And I just heard it a third time today, this time on YouTube!

Today, on my way inside the social housing building where one of my clients live, Santa was sitting outside, presumably for a cigarette break.  We smiled at each other and I told him that for Christmas I want world peace and someone different in the Out House, and then I caught it and said, oops, I mean the White House and I wished Santa a Happy Freudian.  He gave me a big smile through his beard and I can only imagine what he said to his elves later!

The snow is rapidly disappearing with the warmer weather and the rain.  I'm dreaming of a green Christmas....

No comments:

Post a Comment