Thursday 4 January 2018

Healing Trauma: Perceptions And Attitudes, 3

Whoever heard of a white raven? I saw one. Two days ago, Tuesday, 2 January, 2017. It was morning and I was enjoying a long six mile walk before starting work. It would have been at around 8:30 or so and I was just entering Stanley Park from Comox Street in the West End of Vancouver. I saw a light coloured bird flying up in the sky, well in my line of vision. At first I thought it was a seagull, then I wondered what kind of hawk it might be because it was not flying like a seagull and I especially thought, a light coloured hawk. But then it emitted the very distinctive call note of a raven and I noticed again the wings, longer and more pointed than a crow, and the tail, longer and more wedge-shaped and then I knew it was a white raven. I had never seen or heard of such a thing, but wasn't surprised it would exist given how much I have heard of white crows, which are very close cousins to the raven. I felt confused and dumbfounded. And highly blessed. I also felt certain that this was a sign from God. I did some research online after I got home. I had to get past a lot of Game of Thrones nonsense about white ravens (don't watch it, never have, probably never will) and learned a few things. I also had to get past a lot of new age and occult crap. (sigh) There are more flakes on the internet than you'll find in a cereal factory! White ravens are not albinos but a legitimate colour mutation that occurs but rarely. I also noted that they have been sighted on Vancouver Island, around Qualicum Beach. I did come across one interesting little factoid about the white raven symbolizing spiritual cleansing. Whatever this could mean, if anything, I feel as though I have just received a very special blessing and I feel highly favoured for having seen this rare and magnificent bird. This has also happened on the second day of the New Year, which feels significant. I will add something else here, Gentle Reader. I almost never take that route to Stanley Park. Almost always it has been along Barclay Street, which is two blocks away. Two days ago, I believed that God was directing me to take Comox Street instead, and I have learned the hard way the importance of paying attention to those little promptings when they occur: generally it is either to avoid disaster, or to encounter someone or something that is going to be meaningful. I know that I saw something very special and that its impact and meaning will be unfolding for me, and likely for others, over this coming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment