Wednesday 10 January 2018

Healing Trauma: Perspectives And Attitudes, 9

What never fails to get me is the way the dominant culture becomes the template for all that is considered good and normal and healthy. In order to cope with the trauma and damage that marks us all equally as broken and imperfect human beings, everyone seems to go into a state of torpor, or collective denial and instead we target as ill or damaged those who deviate from established norms. Even if their behaviour is harmless it is still socially incorrect and therefore they are targeted, shunned and scapegoated, sometimes punished and openly abused. I have noticed in my own work with clients how much pressure we are under to encourage socially normal behaviour and to try to motivate socially appropriate behaviour and that this often becomes the grid for gauging wellness. I know that some people`s behaviour can be challenging to be around, even if there is no threat implied. For example, a martial arts enthusiast who is also a mental health consumer could have a compulsion to do wild and intense Kung Fu kicks and jumps in the middle of the sidewalk. People are going to be alarmed, frightened and made uncomfortable by this and naturally anyone working therapeutically with the individual will do their level best to discourage him from acting out this way. Working well with this kind of person is a challenge. One does not want to discourage her from expressing herself. On the other hand, a legitimate feature of good mental health recovery does involve social adaptability. Where I would tend to differ from my bosses is in the emphasis that is given to social conformity as a sign of recovery. Some inappropriate forms of expression are relatively benign. However one needs to know where to draw the line. Mass shootings are out. So is running naked in public. Nothing wrong with the human body, by the way, and some are downright lovely to behold. There are others who, for the sake of public disgust, really ought to remain fully covered from head to toe, preferably in a burka (they need not be Muslim or female, just shamelessly ugly!) but here I digress, Gentle Reader. I would go as far as to say that the ability to read and respect social cues is in itself a sign of mental wellness, as well as being decenct, respectful, and showing a telling and admirable lack of douchebaggery. Then there is singing in public. I enjoy singing and when I am walking in the forest or in a quiet neighbourhood, I often enjoy singing Christian hymns and songs of worship. I try to avoid that people hear me, though I do sing well and have been a welcome presence in a choir, but I don`t do this to perform, and I try to be discreet. If someone is approaching me, I lower my voice, or even stop singing, unless they happen to be yapping very loudly on their phone or whistling, then I am likely to unleash in their presence the Full Pavarotti (it always works!). I don`t think this is a sign of unwellness, this singing in public, since it is being done with consideration and sensitivity towards others. Neither am I interested in having an audience. I simply don`t care, since it is God to whom I am singing. There is one gentleman who appears to inhabit the South Granville and Fairview area of Vancouver, who sings Italian opera. Loudly. And beautifully. While walking down the crowded and busy sidewalks of Broadway and Granville Street. He appears blissfully unaware of those around him. Some pedestrians try to avoid or give him wide berth. Others seem intrigued, entranced or entertained. I love this guy`s singing myself, and as the weather gets warm in the spring I look forward to hearing him. Is he being appropriate? Hell no! Might he have a mental illness? Could be, but I really don't care. There is a fine dividing line between madness and art, and this line not only gets very blurry. In some places it disappears altogether. If we are going to be particularly effective in the way we deliver mental health services then we are going to have to open our minds a bit and expand our concept of what is normal and acceptable. And stay open to surprises. It is the surprises that teach and transform us.

2 comments: