Saturday 9 February 2019

Nuance 18

I'm not listening quite so much to CBC nor to other radio the last few days. It is rather nice. The silence is soothing, and my nerves are more rested. The programming on the CBC has become nothing less than abhorrent, especially with the zeal of the CBC to reach out to the so-called hoi polloi, or the common man (shut-up, Politically-Correct Thought Police, shut-up, shut-up, shut-up! I am using man here in its original, historic context, which is to include all genders, and I am not about to make it inclusive just to satisfy the likes of you and your rabid pit bulls.) Anyway, the CBC. They scrapped most of the classical music programming nearly twenty years ago, and started cramming the airwaves with crappy pop and rap music, just like grandma getting a face lift and a boob job, then tottering out to the bar, cougar of the week, in her miniskirt and sexy stiletto heels, to see what kind of young flesh she can snare. So the CBC has flipped the bird at the elites and gone off after the trashy everyman, without thinking in terms of both-and, but either-or. So, I listen very selectively these days, and it's better than phoning in angry and profanity laden comments at those idiots for their absolute lack of judgment. I do like to imagine that I have a slightly higher calling in life, Gentle Reader, than verbally abusing smug and arrogant radio journalists with a severe midlife crisis (Stephen Quinn, host of the Early Edition), or tarted up menopausal women who sound like polka-callers (is there any such thing as a polka caller? Well, if there was, then Gloria Makarenko, host of On the Coast, would be an excellent candidate.) Anyway, I'm sick of all of them, and besides which, I'm sure they are not good for my blood pressure, so I'm taking a bit of a rest again. And, anyway, I don't even know why I listen to them, given that they are securely elite upper middle class and I'm just an overeducated prole living in bC Housing, so what do we really have in common? But this is so typical of the CBC, which is staffed by the elites and every time they try to reach out to poor or other marginalized people, they are going to come across as being clumsy, insensitive and patronizing. I will still turn them on from time to time for the news and for some of the interviews, but only very selectively, so I can stay informed without insulting my intelligence. Otherwise, like other listeners, I will again permit myself to be held hostage by upper class boors presuming to be our role models, and they are not my role models. I especially object to the way they have so normalized alcohol consumption as to turn our public broadcaster into a vector for a culture of alcoholism, with their programming to promote craft beer, spirits and wine. Very irresponsible, but they want to look hip. Granny with a boob job.

No comments:

Post a Comment