Wednesday 2 September 2020

Costa Rica, 2010, 15


Fri., Nov. 26, 2010 at 3:01 p.m.
Craig and Jorge, the owners of the Red Tree House, the bed and breakfast where I am staying, put on a party and Thanksgiving dinner for hotel guests last night.We began in the courtyard with a marimba band and drinks, then drifted to their house across the way.  There were three or four long beautifully set tables in their house, which is very elegant with arches and objets d´arte and flower arrangements.  There were about thirty-five of us.  Craig and a friend cooked the dinner and we had waiters serving us.  The food was wonderful, as were the conversations with other guests.  I sat with two English ladies who live in Cyprus and I learned a lot about life in Cyprus.     Sitting with us also was a Chilean who told us about the food in Chile (they eat lots of fish and potatoes) and his terrifying experience of being in their recent earthquake.  He also informed us that the Spanish word for avocodo, aguacate, is an old word for testicles, reason being due to the shape of the seed inside.  I always thought of avocodos as feminine because of their shape.   I was on my best behaviour and managed to sip the same glass of wine for more than four hours.  This for me by the way is quite easy.
This morning at breakfast an elderly American lady was telling us about her experiences with hospice work and it turned out that almost everyone at the table, including me, had had some experience in palliative care and supporting the dying.  It turns out that the best workers in hospice have already worked a lot in childbirth, and the parellels  between these two rites of passage are something asounding. I spent the rest of the day in San Angel and Coyoacan.  I can´t really think of much else to say about these places that I´ve already said.  I feel  that I´ve accomplished everything I came here for and now I´m ready for home.   My flight leaves at  1 pm tomorrow,  local time and I will be arriving at around 8 in the evening in Vancouver.  It will  be nice to sleep in my own bed again.

No comments:

Post a Comment