Sunday 20 September 2020

Mexico City, 2013, 14

 Sent: Saturday, March 30, 2013 7:07:43 AM

Subject: Last Post

This will be my final entry before I fly home at dawn tomorow.  I don´t expect that I´ll have anything more to report since I´m not going very far  today so I can retire at the ungodly hour of 7 pm.  My flight leaves at 5:45 and I don´t want to come home feeling too exhausted.  The hotel has been okay, my room quiet and comfortable if kind of spartan looking.  I watched a lot of TV in Spanish while here, mostly the National Geographic Channel.  The restaurant in this hotel is a joke and I think this is the main reason why I would not consider staying in this hotel again.  Not everyone wants to watch the soccer game with their breakfast or soap operas or whatever but this is Mexico where like in Canada they think we are children who need to be constantly entertained.  I took my breakfast into the neighbouring computer and sitting room where it is quiet and looked out the window as I ate and observed people at their work.  There was one street sweeper busy with his humongous home made broom.  It looks just like a Halloweén witches broom, a bundle of tree branches tied to a pole and they are everywhere here sweeping the pavement of litter and fallen leaves and debris. Then I watched four young garbagemen at work sorting out the recyclables from the trash containers and putting it in the truck.  My guess is they probably don´t make a lot more than ten dollars a day for an eleven hour shift, six days a week.
This might be the last of my long holidays for a while but I still don´t know.  I do think I need to take a break from Mexico.  Has it all been worth it?  Yes!!!  Every day, hour, minute, second and nanosecond, it has been more than worth it.  I have absolutely no regret about having come here.  I´ve enjoyed myself tremendously, and now it´s time to turn the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment