Friday, 31 July 2026
2001
Breakfast is pretty basic this morning. Toast, peanut butter, jam, cheese, cereal. Erik and Carl are in the kitchen cleaning up while everyone else is getting their ducks together for the great evacuation today. Here in the small reception room where no one can find me, next to the baby grand that Carol played so magnificently on till she broke down one morning weeping and sobbing. Here in this comfy dark green velour chair facing the French doors, on my phone. Facebook. Benjamin Butterfield. And here he is, no photo but just his big yellow B. Texting:"in spades, baby. In spades". The French doors are open bringing in the cool sweet morning air and I suddenly am restless so I am back outside, on the small round porch, then down the four steps onto the grass, still glistening with the morning dew. There are two cars pulling up in the driveway, and yes, the police have arrived...back in the kitchen, Carl announces, "Okay, we all have to step outside and identify ourselves to police". As I file out with Eric and Melissa, my phone begins to vibrate. Waiting for my turn to present to the young RCMP officer my personal i d, I pull out the phone and read the code words of my friendship with Kenny, "You really know how to set a girl's heart aflutter"...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment