Sunday, 2 August 2026
2002
The young cop appears to be introducing Carl to a short thin slightly bent elderly man. They are shaking hands. The real Cosme, I presume, and now Carl is bringing him over to me.
"Christopher, I would like you to meet Cosme." The old man has thin greyish hair with whisps of faded auburn, an aquiline nose and a rugged, creased face that was once considered handsome. His dark eyes were likely once bright and fiery, but now seem dull and a little evasive.
"How are you" is all he says in accented English, then, before I can reply, he returns to the young cop.
"They are just about to bring out the dogs to search the house. No one here is under suspicision, so we are all clear to go."
My phone is vibrating again. "I'm ready now, so if that's okay I can wait in my car."
A text from Benjain Butterfield: "Chris, you clever sly dog you", another code expression of our friendship, "You blew my cover, Yes, it's your old friend Kenny, Kenny Liam McLauchlin, also known as Cassandra the old street tart, and Harriet, of course is always here with me. I am alive and well. I was fished out of the waters in a coma and cared for by loving strangers in a big house on one of the unknown Gulf islands. Long story, but they helped me connect with my mom here in Duncan, where I have lived under a new identity ever since. oh, we have so much catchng up to do."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment