Thursday, 10 September 2026
2033
"Did they mention the refuge?"
"Nothing at all. It is as if nothing happened to them. Once returned they simply returned to their old familiar selves, hyper witty, campy,bitchy and borderline queeny."
"We need to talk to them", say I.
"We are going to have to let them both go", says Ethan, "But it would be better to let them both stay in the condo, for the time being anyway."
"You say that, because..." says Carl.
"They are not prepared to let go of each other, which, if they are to move forward in discipleship, they are both going to have to consider and face."
"But they are married", says Carl, "what God has joined..."
"Same sex marriage, while not in itself sinful, is not the same as between a man and a woman", says Ethan.
"How can you say that?", I reply, hearing faint rebuke in my tone, but I am also afraid that he might be hitting on an uncomfortable truth.
"Gay marriage works well as harm reduction. In fact, it would be suicidal for them to even think of separating before committing themselves to sobriety, and even then, they would still need each other in order to stay faithful to the program. But for real, true, and costly discipleship, it is better for two men or two women to embrace celibacy. I cannot explain why this is, and as much as I believe it, even our lord himself has cautioned me against being strict and judgmental, so I am also willing to shelve the matter. But they should stay part of us because they are part of us, even if they are auxiliaries. For Thaddai and I it was rather different, as Jesus has been prone to remind me at times. He was my slave, and also my sex slave so I had to set him free, and that completely ended all carnality between us. But there is also a quality of commitment that has to come before marriage or the spouse if our commitment to Christ is going to mean anything at all..."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment