Monday 30 March 2015

Bogota Journal: Danger

This just in.  I seem to have narrowly avoided being a crime statistic today.  I mentioned this morning that this city is full of idiots.   Well, some of these idiots are pretty dangerous.  The good news is there are also a lot of decent people here, like the lady I had a chat with in the grocery line this afternoon.

I was walking one of my usual routes this morning in the Zona Rosa near Parque 93 when an elderly gentleman approached me asking directions to a Christian book store.  I said I probably could't help him since I am just visiting. He asked from where and I said Canada.  Toronto? he asked.  No, Vancouver.  Then he mentioned that he has relatives who live in Vancouver.  This is when a ¨gentleman¨wearong a well cut suit and tie approached us and he also wanted to know where I'm from.  I said Canada.  He asked Toronto? and I replied Vancouver. He began to focus entirely on me and said that he suspects that both the Venezuelan and I might be carrying illegal drugs as he showed me his ¨police¨ id.  Then he wanted to see my passport which I was unwisely carrying with me.  Fortunately he gave it back.  He then touched my stomach with his hand and said he believed I was carrying drugs in my stomach and ordered me to come to his headquarters nearby for questioning.  I refused.  He insisted.  I resisted.  The Venezuelan chap walked away and so did I.  The ¨police officer¨apparently lost interest and walked away when he saw he was getting nowhere with me.  I continued as far as the snobby French cafe where I was going anyway, feeling quite shaken and paranoid and I was feeling, of course, hyper vigilent.  While enjoying coffee and croissant and working on a drawing I kept looking in the mirror as I heard someone new walk into the cafe.  When I left I took a different very long detour back, walking a zig zag route and watching my surroundings, let's say, very very carefully.

I got caught in a particularly vicious downpour on my way back to my pension and simply sat on the patio when I returned and stared out at this violent assault of nature.  Soon Andres came back and I was able to debrief with him about what happened.  He shares my view that this guy wasn't legit, that I had probably been targeted for some time and that I could have been in considerable danger.  So, that's the last I'm going into that area.  I'm spending the rest of today and tomorrow close to my pension.

Anybody reading this who prays, please remember me and pray for my safety, wellbeing and safe return to Vancouver Wednesday.

The rain has stopped by the way.


1 comment:

  1. Aaron, I too have been shaken down by police, both fake and real. Once was in Mexico City. I had to pay the ass $50 to go away. The second was in Beijing when a fake cop tried to extort from me. He handed me a sheet of questions about visas and so on and randomly pointed to questions, but I realized he could not read or write Chinese and I just strung him along until he gave up. My visa was fine of course.
    I am sorry that you had this experience and I am glad that you escaped from what would have been physical harm.

    ReplyDelete