Monday 17 August 2015

Remarkable People I Have Known, Prologue

I have been posting an awful lot about myself recently, not out of narcissistic self-adulation but simply to get the facts out while I can still get them out.  |Being childless I would like to leave some tangible record to those who succeed me that I was here.  I am also hoping that those reading these small essays will feel somehow intrigued, inspired, helped and amused. An alternative title to these posts might read "Learn From My Mistakes (Please!)

Now over the next several days I am going to write about other people, notably people whose lives, words, deeds, whose very essence, have somehow resonated with me, influenced, taught, inspired and transformed me.

I am randomly selecting these individuals, but primarily because they always seem to stand out in my memory, as though it were somehow destined that our lives touch.  Some have been like teachers and mentors.  With others it hasn't been quite so simple or obvious.  Not one of them is, as far as I know, a blood relative.

My choice of the word "Remarkable" is simply out of sheer intellectual laziness.  These persons, have been for me very remarkable.  To others they may seem quite ordinary.  When you think of it, really, every single one of us is remarkable.  Unique.  Irreplaceable.  There is no such thing as a boring or dull person since, the sheer act of being human is in itself sufficient to make one interesting!

I am not going to name any of these individuals.  I am also going to disclose selectively since I want to respect their privacy as well as having a healthy aversion towards litigation.  I might even fictionalize things a little, but only a little.  I am also sure that should any one of these remarkable persons (still living, of course) should stumble across this blog that they are going to be sure to recognize themselves in my portraits of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment