Saturday 1 August 2015

Stranger Than Fiction, 29

I went to Mexico for the first time in 2009.  It was another interesting year.  We went through one of our most severe winters on record that year, 2008-2009.  It was snow, deep snow at times, nonstop from December 14 till mid-February.  This never happened before and it really had people questioning if we really were undergoing global warming.  (The quick answer to that is "Yes, and it's also called Climate Change!)

I was really suffering during that time from my sense of social isolation and from having lost my family.  I didn't know that my father died in 2009.  I found this out three years later, during a very unexpected phone call from an aged maternal aunt I hadn't seen in twenty years when only after I asked some leading questions did she spill the beans.  He died from Alzheimer's.  I somehow had suspected this.  My father mentioned something during our final visit.  He only alluded to it and would not respond to my probing.  My brother, who had my contact information did nothing to keep me informed.  I had lost his contact info and I also knew and accepted how hopeless the likelihood of our ever being friends.  On top of everything else though I was in therapy recovering from the results of the abuse and lifelong mistreatment from my family that had given me PTSD to begin with.  I was too vulnerable to see or be in contact with any of my family.

In 2008 I knew I would be alone for Christmas.  I sent out a general email to friends and coworkers about this, telling them this was painful to me and asking for ideas or support.  One "friend" emailed me back saying she does not feel sorry for people who feel sorry for themselves.  I promptly ended the friendship.  Another told me that I was being needy.  Only after I extracted from her an apology was our friendship also spared from the chopping block.  But this one is still under surveillance.

Of course, I was not invited anywhere for Christmas.  None of my friends are really that committed to my wellness I'm afraid.  I worked instead at Venture, the small psychiatric facility where I work.  I hung out with the patients, took them out for coffee and stayed for dinner.  While it wasn't wonderful it was still okay and I got paid for my time there.  I have been doing this every Christmas ever since.  I also often try to have one or two people over for brunch with me Christmas Day, or will take a friend who really has nowhere to go out for coffee or a bite.  It isn't all bad.

I began working with a couple of Latin American clients, communicating in Spanish while trying to help them with English.  Because of confidentiality issues I cannot reveal any more about them but they gave me invaluable help with my Spanish and during the four years we worked together my Spanish improved remarkably.

I had also joined a Christian social justice group and was regularly attending meetings and workshops that especially focussed around issues of homelessness and legislated poverty.  I did a presentation about homelessness, the text of which I will put in a future blog post.  This group never really became for me the community or extended family that I was seeking.  I was still in the process of learning that this is something that is likely never going to happen for me anywhere and to learn to live with it.  It's still a struggle at times but I seem to be doing a lot better the last couple of years.

We were preparing for the Winter Olympics that were going to be held here in Vancouver February 2010.  We are all in this network of resistance universally opposed to the Olympics because of the displacement and mistreatment and marginalization that always occurs for people on low incomes in order to make way for the event.  We of course were the minority.

It was in October that I went to Mexico City.  I will provide you here with some samples from my travel blog:



I have mentioned already that we have quite a huge range of guests here from all over the world, some very interesting, most very pleasant, a few quite insufferable. This is for me a marvelous opportunity for developing and honing my social skill

No comments:

Post a Comment