Tuesday 22 September 2015

Remarkable People I Have Known: Bright-Eyes

She was named after a precious stone and her eyes and her face shone with the light, love and joy of Christ.  I met her the first time when I was twenty-two and a college student.  I was acquainted with her then husband who introduced us on the bus.  I mentioned that I was on my way to a film, "Nasty Habits", a satire about a scandal in a nunnery.  Her husband quipped "nice Christian theme" and Bright-Eyes said nothing though I suspect she was probably embarrassed by hubby.

Two years later we met again in church.  She was divorced and... no, things did not take that kind of turn between us, gentle reader.  We are not in the movies you know.  We did become friends.  Very good friends.  I don't know what she saw in me as a friend though she insisted that I was full of God.  I thought that if she is as close to God as she appears to be she would either be challenged to see much of any of Christ's presence in me, or for the very love that was filling her heart recognize only Jesus and not only in me but in everyone.

She would tell me of how she found herself living in absolute poverty for a while and not knowing what or when her next meal would be.  She said she joyfully abandoned herself to the love and care of God and that ever since that time she lived a life full of grace and glory.  I must add here that she is one of the most inspiring people I have ever known and been privileged to have as a friend.

To this day I cannot remember what she did for a living.  Where or whether she worked, or if she was on a disability pension, or... I myself was working sporadically at the time, like many people I knew and I imagine so was she. She was in her late twenties, intelligent, kind and very considerate of others.  I could not imagine her as unemployable.  I don't think she intentionally held secrets and perhaps she just had nothing to reveal.

This lovely, kind, gentle and loving woman took interest in the rather strange direction I was taking in terms of Christian ministry.  Increasingly I was feeling called to visit gay bars, not to participate in anything, or drink or meet anyone or get picked up, but simply to be present and to pray.  During this time in 1981 gay and lesbian persons were particularly marginalized, persecuted and stigmatized in society.  The churches had failed them miserably.  Even though I still hadn't got my head around the idea of same-sex marriage I was aware that a non-judgmental and loving Christian presence was needed and especially in situations where Christians, especially while praying and waiting on God, would not be expected to be present.

For several weeks she joined me as we visited places, sometimes chatted with people, and then would leave praying for various persons.  It all seemed good. 

I got a phone call from one of the pastors of her church.  I had by then begun attending a different place, a Four Square fellowship along with the Great One.  I was surprised to hear from this pastor given that we had parted, not on unfriendly terms, but neither specially friendly.  He invited me to dinner with him and his wife.  I accepted, not suspecting that I was walking into a trap.  Just following dinner the pastor began to castigate and rudely lambaste me for bringing their precious angel into such deadly dark sinful and dangerous places.  I replied that she had volunteered to come, she did well there and there was absolutely no danger.  I proceeded to say that she was an adult, capable of making her own decisions and also reasonably sophisticated.  He became angry and verbally abusive.  I swore at him and left.

Two years later she married another dear friend of mine, whom I will probably also include in my Remarkable Pantheon.  Then they moved away to another part of the country.  We wrote each other for a year or two.  I think just when she became pregnant she stopped corresponding.  I love both these people dearly and hope that one day we can be reunited.

No comments:

Post a Comment