Sunday 19 June 2016

Clueless (And Proud Of It)

I think that is how I would describe a lot of people.  Sometimes that is how I could be described.  Examples abound: for example the stupid douchebag in the building next door who, after getting a visit from police last night still insists on cranking up his stereo making it necessary to call the people in blue uniforms yet again.  The guy on staff has told me to do this, since he will only tell this guy once.  So, I am keeping my window closed and the fan on and wearing earplugs to shut out the thudding bass of this asshole's stereo.  I really do not understand why they allow people who live in small apartments without soundproofing to have stereos unless they could somehow put a limit on the maximum volume capacity or simply confiscate the bloody noise machines and give the imbeciles their own personal iPods.  Problem solved, but people are not in the habit of thinking creatively, now, are they?  I think the problem tenant might have fetal alcohol spectrum disorder.  If you are not familiar with this serious mental health/cognitive condition it is brought on by mothers using alcohol during pregnancy causing brain damage to the developing fetus.  The damaged child that is born will have serious behaviour and cognitive problems for the rest of his life, and all because he had the misfortune of having for a mother a sad but convincing argument for reviving the practice of eugenics.  One of the features of suffering from this syndrome is an absolute inability of learning from mistakes or consequences so that they end up ratifying Einstein's theory, not of relativity but insanity: making the same mistake over and over and each time expecting a different result.  I suppose I should feel sorry for him and occasionally I do, but only just a little.  For now I am using earplugs and if he is still pounding his stereo away once I've finished writing this screed then maybe I will call the police.  He is likely going to be evicted and for this reason I do feel sorry for him because housing (he lives in a social services building for the hard to house) is scarce in this incredibly expensive giant Chinese laundry of a city and someone like him could easily end up back on the street.  Something I don't want on my conscience.

It isn't just street seasoned losers and addicts like my neighbour who behave like they haven't a clue.  This morning I was drawing in my sketchbook inside a café where I usually meet a friend of mine.  There were three transit attendants (the Skytrain station is on the premises) sitting around having their beverage and snack for their extended coffee break.  Everything was in disposable, but non-recyclable paper and plastic containers.  Like everyone else they don't seem to have yet clued in that we are in the middle of a planetary crisis of Biblical proportions with climate change due to global warming.  They didn't need take out and they could have just as easily asked for reusable ceramic mugs and ceramic plates that are available in this establishment.  They weren't going anywhere and therefore there was no need on their part to add to the landfill and contribute to further global warming.  You cannot tell people like that.  They get defensive and really, they just don't care.  These are the same people who drive everywhere and usually eat tonnes of red meat (they were all overweight so I'm sure they don't walk a lot and heaven forbid that they be passengers on the same transit system that employs them)

I know that the message is getting out, slowly, about climate change.  What hasn't really sunk in is how each one of us through our own laziness and bad lifestyle habits bear some of the brunt of responsibility.  We all seem to think that we're invisible, that we don't leave a footprint and that anything that we do is inconsequential.  I see this as the next great challenge of the Leap Forward to stop climate change: convincing the clueless to get off their ass and do their part.

No comments:

Post a Comment