Tuesday 12 March 2019

Costa Rica 6, Fifth Day In Monteverde

Nothing noteworthy today. I am still waiting for word about whether they will give me the same deal as last year for the cloud forest reserve, where I would have to pay only once, then all the other visits are free. Till then, I'm not going, since it does cost around twenty-seven dollars Canadian to get in, and my budget is pretty limited. likewise for restaurants. I eat mostly at cheap places, from time to time dining in a nice establishment as a treat. Everyone here, or almost everyone, seems to want your money. Monteverde has turned into one huge cash grab since becoming world-famous. This has been, of course, inevitable. Costa Rica is not a rich country, and the tourist industry seems to have turned otherwise lovely people into bottom-feeding hucksters. I am glad to say that some Ticos, for example, my hosts here at Mariposa, are above this. Likewise a lot of the people I encounter on the road or elsewhere. But there are still a lot of sharks in this pond, unfortunately, and it really seems to be the inevitable fruit of global capitalism. All money, zero ethics. And a lot of this, naturally, comes from foreign interests. An estate just down the hill has added three very aggressive guard dogs that come rushing and barking and growling at anyone who happens to walk by. This never used to happen here. On my first trip here in 94, the dogs were all friendly! But I think the beauty of Monteverde, similar to Vancouver, has also attracted a lot of wealthy, and ethically challenged, parties, who keep trying to buy everything up, transforming this place into one big money laundromat. I really hope it doesn't get worse, in either place. I spent the morniing in the bed and breakfast where, after breakfast, I finshed a new drawing,, then walked from here to Santa Elena and back again, stopping first for a cold drink in a cafe where I finished the drawing, then later in a new resturant for a late lunch or early dinner. It wasn't much and today I have spent maybe around ten bucks, and if I get hungry later, there is lots of trail mix and chocolate in my room. They are gradually putting in more sidewalks on the main road here. It is a very slow process and, I imagine, the government is very seletive with its generosity for such projects. The only thing that really kills me are the long hikes up very steep hills to get to where I want to go. I think that most of us hate walking uphill or up stairs, even though it's supposed to be good for us. Even if I'm doing very little on this trip, I from time to time just remind myself that that is exactly what I am here for, very little, and I will happily let the consumer tourists bust their backsides rushing around like idiots to see and do everything, while I simply continue to relax at a healthy pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment