Monday 11 March 2019

Costa Rica 6, Fourth Day In Monteverde

It's been raining off and on all day. This is not a bad thing, and for a couple of reasons. First of all, Monteverde has been having an exceptionally dry year, so the moisture is much needed and appreciated. Secondly, it hasn't been raining hard, just a light drizzle. Thirdly, the sun has been shining almost constantly. Fourthly, with the wind, it has been very refreshing to walk, and the drizzle is so light that an umbrella is not needed. And fifthly, there was one constant rainbow that I was walking towards for over an hour while on my way back to the bed and breakfast from Santa Elena. There is a friend of the family here who has a craft store and art gallery in Santa Elena and she is interested in showing some of my art. I will try to meet with her this week. This whole day has been rather pleasant. I had a nice visit during breakfast with a couple from New Jersey. The husband is from France, and he is the one I heard speaking Spanish in a French accent the other day. Very nice people. They have a landscaping company and they seem to be totally stoked about the the birds and the natural beauty and diversity here in Costa Rica. People are for the most part nice and friendly here. The only unfriendly people I have encountered, so far, all seem to be American students. At a couple of different cafes servers have been particularly interested in talking to me about my art, since they see me working on something when I'm there. It's also just nice that people want to reach out and chat like that. And the Spanish practice is a bonus. The sunsets here are particularly glorious. I only wish you could see them, and I don't have a camera or phone, you know why, so please let's not start on this again. I have never seen a rainbow last so long as the one that was there for more than an hour during my walk back, this afternoon. The only sad thing is that no one else seemed to even notice it, which is kind of too bad. I guess people have their priorities. I for one have never been able to not notice something so beautiful as a rainbow, and this must make me a bit odd. Well, I could do worse, I suppose. I also got to meet and pet a friendly cat on my walk, and I saw another morpho butterfly today. Lots of tourists here, of course. I chatted a bit with a table of friendy Germans of a certain age. They all seemed to have a nice sense of humour. Yes, I did say they were German! I am every bit as surprised as you, Gentle Reader, but, hey, half my DNA is German, and I turned out okay. Well, sort of. Right now I am seated in the reception area of the Mariposa with the laptop that Esteban has been so kind to lend to me while I'm here. I also am allowed to keep it in my room, but when I get back in the late afternoons and early evenings after dinner, I like to work on it here in the reception area, since the human contact is rather nice, something that one appreciates while travelling alone. All for now, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment