Saturday 3 August 2019

Life As Performance Art 121

So this weekend we have the Celebration of Light, and we have the Celebration of the Love That Dare Not Mention Its Name. There will be just under a half million folks clogging the beaches and bridges in this city to ooh and awe over the annual pyrotechnical spectacle, also known as annual public fireworks display. And everyone, including the CBC, is talking about it. That is going to happen this Saturday night, just after my bedtime. Then tomorrow, there will be the other annual pyrotechnical spectacle, also known as the Gay Pride Parade (more currently known as Pride, since being LGBT etc., this occasion is going to include more than just men with good fashion and decoration sense who also happen to be into each other, and other assorted twinks) It will likely be attended by more than half a million participants and spectators, usually around six hundred thousand. That will be Sunday. Now, everyone, and the CBC, seem to be talking about the fireworks. No one outside of the LGBT community, except for the CBC, seems to be talking about Pride. There must be reasons for this. I never hear it mentioned by coworkers, and I am employed by a very inclusive organization. Neither do I hear much about it by friends who are not LGBT, and there is certainly no mention made around my apartment building. The fireworks, yes. Pride? It is as though people are still embarrassed about homosexualtiy, gender identity, and transgender issues. Except the CBC. But most of those people don't listen to or watch CBC. If I say, casually, Happy Pride, I get a little embarrassed smile and nod, perhaps, but that's it. Did I mention that we are already in 2019? Did I also mention that stores, shops, banks, and even the odd progressive church, are all decked out and festooned in rainbow colours right now to acknowledge Pride. Of course the Pride buck is also going to be celebrated, and some of the churches (my own Anglican, and the United) have strong policies of inclusivity). But so-called regular folk? Don't hear much from them. And don't get me started about the theologically conservative Christian organization that runs my apartment building. I already left them a voice mail asking why Pride is never included in the community announcements and bulletins that usually adorn our elevator and other common spaces and if this has something to do with their conservative take on the Christian faith and a desire to protect their tenants from this nefarious corruption? No one responded. Probably too embarrassed. I do have my own issues with Pride, by the way. They seem to have, like many organizations that represent marginalized populations, a garrison mentality. They have banned the Vancouver Public Library and UBC from being in the parade, because both institutions gave or rented out space to public speakers who questioned and challenged some of their precious tenets and positions about gender identity. But most people seem to be allergic to nuance and not many people have developed enough intelligence to really recognize or appreciate irony, and for now, anyway, I'm not going to trouble myself further about any of this. Happy Pride, Gentle Reader! And remember. We are all included!

No comments:

Post a Comment