Wednesday 1 April 2020

Quarantined, Day 12

The odious leader of the federal Conservatives has decided to do the partisan politics mosh over the way the prime minister and his government have been handling this crisis.  When that little reptile begins to squeak, I always consider the source,an angry nasty little man who loves power and is just a sore and bitter loser, so I don't really pay much attention to Andrew Scheer, or Scheer Idiot.  Junior, for all his faults (I also have faults, by the way, and so do you, Gentle Reader) has been showing admirable leadership and I would challenge little reptilian brain to match him, but since he is never going to be prime minister, that is a public humiliation that my native schadenfreude is simply going to have to do without.

Ooh, aren't I nasty today, Gentle Reader!

For me, it is simply a matter of not getting hijacked by fear.  People are frightened like chickens, or rabbits, right now, and this to me says more about what a bunch of spineless wusses we are than the magnitude of the crisis.   Just look at the plethora of medical masks that are being worn almost like a fashion accessory.  In a lot of cases, they probably improve the wearers' looks!  But our medical professionals have already been loud and clear that the masks are needed for people working in health care, on the front lines, with vulnerable patients, and that if you are not carrying the virus, then no les van a servir de protecciones las tapabocas, or in English, the masks are going to be useless for protection.  But people are so spineless, frightened and neurotic, that they have to feel safe.  Like Linus (remember that little boy genius from the Peanuts comic strip) who cannot live without his beloved blue security blanket.  Or Gollum and his Precious.

I have looked death in the face and smiled.  And now, I am looking death in the face again, and I am laughing.  I am not afraid of getting sick.  I am not afraid of dying.  I also am taking full responsibility to do my due diligent to protect others around me just in case I could be a vector of this pernicious virus.  It is not deadly.  The mortality rate is just over one percent.  It is not grave.  It is serious.  Just yesterday, while out on a walk, I told two men standing too close together to please observe the required distance, and they complied.  I don't always give orders to strangers, and I just take care not to put others at risk.  I am not eager to get sick either.  But after the AIDS pandemic, after the deaths of many dear ones by many causes, after my own epiphany experiences of death, dying and eternal life, I am not afraid, and I refuse to become afraid and I am not even going to fear this stupid fear itself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment