Friday 28 February 2014

Tomorrow I Fly

This has been rather a lovely time of saying goodbye to friends and colleagues before leaving for Mexico tomorrow.  I am often warmed by the expressions of tremendous good will that are being expressed, sensing that people are authentically happy for me and that they believe that this kind of break is something I both need and deserve.  I will be gone for a month, which is a bit long.  Once again I am wondering if I should shorten these trips or even phase them out for a while and really I don't know.  It is always great to have all this time to speak and improve my Spanish.  And the warm sunny days and the beautiful colours and the people are all lovely.  I am not looking forward to having to drink bottled water and take especial care of my health and I often suffer at least a few days when I'm on these long trips and I hope that the extra precautions I am taking will help.  The streets to wander on, cafes, plazas, parks to sit in, the opportunity to spend lots of time drawing, colouring, and in prayer and contemplation, this is all very attractive.  Of course this brief but drastic change in my rhythm of life is a bit disconcerting.  There are all the practical details, too: food, laundry, internet access, safety.  I want to slow down a bit on this trip, which will be a bit easier, since I already know Mexico City and Coyoacan somewhat.  Puebla is right now a mystery and I expect a real adventure there though I still plan to take it slow and easy.
     I seem to have all my ducks in a row for this trip.  And now I bid everyone good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment