Sunday 2 March 2014

First Day In Coyoacan

I have twenty minutes to write this and no time to send it to everyone so I hope you will all have the resourcefulness to look it up here on my blog.  I am also doing this inside a noisy internet cafe and it is hard to concentrate and the guest house where I am staying does not provide computer access for guests which seems a little bit limiting to say the least.  My flight went well.  The passenger on my left (I was in a middle seat.   not so bad, really) kept wanting to engage me in conversation and I really don´t mind this.  I know that most people are antisocial grouches when they are on airplains and hate it when the person next to them wants to strike  even a minimum of conversation but I say to all you misanthropic grouches, please get over yourselves.  There is nothing wrong with being friendly and acccomodating towards strangers and actually an awful lot that is right about it.  This person I at first wrote off as a young jock but he appeared to have a brain and an interest in talking about a wide range of topics.   His parents are Libyan and he grew up Muslim.  He works in the oil patch in Alberta and seems to have mixed feelings about making a living off of environmental devastation.  Mind you, these days, I am increasingly treating perfect strangers and almost everyone else like they´re my clients so everything goes a little more smoothly these days in my interractions with folks.
Coyoacan is beautiful and my room is big and peacful with a view of the garden.  There is a larege communal kitchen but there is a young family staying there right now and I kind of want to give them space, and besides I have already budgeted for eating out.  There are big towering trees everywhere and brightly coloured building facades and walls festooned with multihued bougainvillea.  Many of the walls, unfortunately are also adorned with tag graffiti. The couple who own the bed and breakfast are a pleasant middle aged couple, but seem quite absent from the premises.  The mother of one of them, a tiny anciana (little old lady) is a lovely, friendly lady.  They also have an affectionate golden retriever dog.
I attended mass in the parroquia San Juan Bautista, that magnificent and huge baroque church that I have already bored everyone about.
I expect to send the afternoon walking around.

No comments:

Post a Comment