Thursday 4 December 2014

Kitsch Glorious Kitsch!

I had a conversation yesterday about an art student who was told by her instructor that she was painting kitsch.  This makes my blood boil.  I replied that the snooty art instructor is a symbol of everything that is wrong with the art establishment.  They are jaded pretentious snobs completely out of touch with ordinary life.  I have without success tried to find an art gallery that would take on my paintings.  It wasn't that hard selling paintings on my own, when I had time, while I was on welfare or working part time and casually, and needing food to eat or money to pay the rent with I would always sell my work dirt cheap, prices that in no way reflected or justified the time and work I put into each painting. 

I swallowed the Kool-Aid and found a job, more or less full time, not really well paid but more than enough for my needs and work I enjoy.  Now I have no time to look for a gallery, or show my art.  I paint sometimes in the mornings, other times in the evenings but I see no light at the end of the tunnel for marketing my work.  I sort of don't care.  I already know what art dealers are going to say when they see images of my work.  "Kitsch" or "too esthetic" or "Oh, birds, how pretty.  Next."

I am going to paint whatever the hell I want.  I have a page on this blog dedicated to my paintings and I am just going to lift a few images for you my readers to decide for yourselves:


1.   2001-2006
"Peacock in Arabesque"
acrylic,  48"x36"
 
 Shining in the night
guarding eternal portals
where we must enter
 
This peacock is on display in the manager's office in my apartment building.  It is for sale and I would like at least $1500.  This is exactly what any art snob would turn their thin little nostrils up at but people who "don't know much about art" like this and other paintings.  And so do some people who know a lot about art.  This is an esthetic work that contains no social or cultural comment.  It is a peacock, purely and simply, with colour and high lights that celebrate its beauty. 
 
 
9.   2003
"Golden Pheasants on the Manicured Lawn of Heaven"
acrylic, 48"x36"
 
On eternal lawns
they shine in endless daylight
without fear or dread
 
 
I am sure that no self-respecting art dealer would be caught dead showing these golden pheasants on their wall.  Too bad.  I painted them.  I love them and I see them every day in my apartment.  Yours for $1500 but I am less than eager to part with this painting.
 
 
 

 1.   2005
"Red-Capped Parrots"
acrylic,   48"x36"
 
How about these snazzy parrots from Perth, Australia.  Aren't they pretty?  Oh, but pretty is weak said Gathie Falk, one of our famous living artists in an interview.  Here is a sample of her painting:
 
 
 Yeah, uh-huh.
 
Oh, but Gathie's famous.  And her work sells for lots of money.
 
Because...?
 

3.   1999-2002
"Jubilation"
acrylic,   48"x36"
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment