Friday 26 December 2014

The Temptation of Gentrification

We were walking on Hastings Street in Vancouver's poorest postal zone and it was unsettling.  There was the black man yelling for no reason other than he wasn't on his meds then the two (one aboriginal) crack heads almost jumping on us to give them money.  As we found our way to a quiet and sheltered café I mentioned to my companion that these are times when gentrification can be very appealing.

Last night I was enjoying dessert following Christmas dinner with some friends and two sisters and brother-in-law visiting from out of town, among other fine people.  The out of towners were wondering what they could see in Vancouver over the next couple of days.  I suggested Chinatown, which has against all odds retained much of its old magic.  "Isn't it dangerous?" someone said.  I mentioned that it runs parallel to Hastings and could be sketchy but is generally safe.  Someone recommended that they indeed should stay off of Hastings Street given the desolation and the homeless people suffering from addictions and mental illness.  Citing my experience the other day I mentioned that it isn't particularly dangerous there but it can be very unsettling.  I proceeded to tell them that I worked in the area for four years in social services and also lived in the area for a brief time (they seemed so impressed) and my suggestion was that they would not likely be in danger but if they had no reason for being there, for example to work or somehow help out that they would do better to stay away altogether.  Or, as their brother-in-law said, if they're not on a mission to save the Downtown Eastside (not my choice of words) they would best stay away from the area.

In recent weeks two competing petitions have been circulating: one to close the two emergency shelters that recently opened in my Downtown South neighbourhood where I live; the other to drive the selfish yuppies from Vancouver, the very people who want the homeless shelters shut down.  I have signed the second petition, naturally.

Gentrification is a very nasty process.  Everything becomes too expensive for the low income residents who eventually have to move, making way for well-incomed yuppies and their little dogs too.  Superficially it is wonderful.  Everything looks nice, clean, smells nice; there are no awful ugly looking poor people bothering anyone for money nor with their disagreeable presence.  I think of it as a kind of social cleansing.

I don't like the sight of dishevelled, desperate and unstable, broken down persons going through the garbage bins of my neighbourhood.  I like even less the well groomed, good looking and sweet smelling young professionals who are the only demographic that can now afford to live here.  We need more than shelters.  We need safe affordable housing for everyone.  We also need treatment and recovery services.  We need everything.  Except greedy selfish people who hate those less fortunate than themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment