Monday 29 December 2014

Thirteen Crucifixions, 63


“Don’t worry, you don’t have to sit perfectly still.”

            “Are you sure?” asked Douglas Furnis.  “I do want it to look like me.”

            “That shouldn’t be a problem.  But I’ve found while doing live portraits that when the subject sits perfectly still, then some of the life abandons the face”, Glen said.

            “Well, I don’t want that to happen.”

            He had a handsome face, one so beautifully made that for Glen it was almost an exquisite pain being commissioned to do his portrait.  Still, he couldn’t understand the discomfort he felt in this person’s presence.  They were sitting in his living room, which was all Danish Modern furniture, black, white, grey, and taupe, clean lines, no clutter.  An environment so clean, ordered and sterile, as to suggest an underlying sinisterness.  Like Douglas’ face?  Glen had never had the dubious pleasure of painting so beautiful, perfect and flawless a face, male or female.  He had just learned from Greg, now Aaron, who also did commissioned portraits, that one should really charge the highest fees to the prettiest sitters.   The terms they had agreed on were indeed generous.  Along with the painting he had just purchased, Glen was guaranteed to live comfortably for a while.  The silence in his apartment was almost tomb-like.

            “I’ve never sat in such a clean apartment”, he said.

            “I have a very good cleaning lady”, Douglas replied.   “I’ve had her for years.  She’s Croatian.  She used to bring her son with her, but he’s gone off to university.”  Glen had so far established the ground colour of the painting: a deep rich and uniform maroon.  The face had already been shaped in strokes of titanium white, chrome yellow and process magenta.  This was not going to be an easy paint.  There was something almost too perfect and flawless about this face, and he was sure that there was also something lacking.  What was it?  Glen was painting a mask?  Had he had extensive plastic surgery?  How could a nose be so perfectly formed?  Glen didn’t paint perfection, but this Douglas Furnis wanted a perfect representation.  This would be the first face he’d painted that didn’t appear to have some underlying truth that was just waiting to be brought out in paint.

            “Tell me a bit about yourself, Doug.”

            “You may call me Douglas.”

            “Sorry.  Douglas.  But tell me about yourself, please.”

            “Why?”

            “When I’m doing a live sitting, it often helps me bring out something real in the portrait.”

            “I’m not interested in that kind of ‘real’.”

            “I’m just concerned that I might turn out a plastic, sterile kind of representation.”

            “That’s what I want.  It’ll go with the furniture.”

            Glen almost laughed, but immediately realized that Douglas was not joking.  He gave him the creepy, oppressive impression of someone who had never laughed in his life.  He couldn’t begin to guess his age.  If he had had recent plastic surgery then he might be as old as fifty, though his hands suggested a man somewhere near thirty.  Glen was too shy to ask.

            “How long will this take.”

            “It might be a couple of weeks.  If you give me a couple of good photos I can work with it might be done sooner.

            “I prefer live sittings.”

            “You don’t mind?”

            “I have lots of time right now.  I’m leaving my business in the hands of my two partners for the time being.  I’m thinking of travelling.”

            “Where?”

            “Costa Rica.  Then maybe Thailand and Cambodia.”  I try to go every year if I can.”

            “How long have you lived here in Vancouver?”

            “Please, no more personal questions.”

            “But—”

            “You are here to paint.”

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment