Thursday 25 February 2016

Saving The Health System Billions

Parliament has just concluded a controversial study and have found that physician assisted dying is going to be almost inevitable.  This isn't just for the terminally ill, nor the elderly but for the mentally ill and even in some cases for children.  This is one of those rare instances when I find myself agreeing with conservatives.

My question is where do we draw the line?  What if things erode into people being killed against their will?  Especially if they happen to be old and poor.  We are on the cusp of a grey tsunami.  Within perhaps five years our burgeoning population of elderly is going to be swamping public health care costing the beleaguered taxpayers billions, perhaps trillions.  When it is decided that my time is up, that I am no longer fit to live, who is going to speak on my behalf?

This is worst-case of course.  I am simply bringing this forward, Gentle Reader, in order to get you to think and to start really wondering just who is doing your thinking for you.  Euthanasia is killing and killing is not the purview of the medical profession.  As a Christian and a pacifist let me make this particularly clear.  Killing is something humans do not (or should not) do to one another, not under any circumstances.

Palliative Care!

No comments:

Post a Comment