Sunday 27 March 2016

Assessing The Success Of this Trip

Thursday night I return to Canada following a month in Colombia, all spent in Bogota.  Each person has a different idea of what a successful vacation is and I am sure that some of you, Gentle Reader, might find yourselves wondering why I even bothered coming here, why I didn`t go to Buenos Aires or Cancun instead, why I didn`t shop till I drop, why I didn`t eat in fine restaurants, or in any restaurants at all, why I didn`t visit other and more attractive parts of Colombia during my stay here, why I didn`t stay in a decent hotel, why I didn`t take pictures etcetera, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...

This is the itinerary that I set myself for my time here:

1. I wanted to visit a place already familiar but not too familiar so that I could be guaranteed some comfort and peace of mind while still enjoying the challenge and surprise factor of exploring new areas and neighbourhoods.

2.  I wanted a city that is walkable.  Much of Bogota, I am pleased to say, but for the traffic in some areas, is very walkable.

3. I wanted to be in a location significantly above sea level and not stiflingly hot.  The weather here, even with the rain and thunderstorms (there has been no rain in the past three or four days, by the way) has been overall very pleasant and enjoyable, suggesting Vancouver in early June.

4. I wanted full Spanish immersion, including TV in Spanish in my room in order to improve my language skills.

5. I wanted to see some friends I had already made here and possibly make some new friends as well.

6. I wanted to do tonnes of art while here, inspired by the local flora and fauna.  Right now I am on drawing number twelve, surpassing the eight I did (more like seven) on my last trip here. Some of the local cafes are fabulous for doing art in.

7. I wanted a sense of adventure.  And, with some of the potentially dangerous encounters I have had in this city I got what I bargained for and then some.  Now I have to avoid certain allegedly safe neighbourhoods that I previously enjoyed because I have good reason to suspect that I am being watched and observed by some of these individuals. I still haven`t heard back from the Canadian Embassy about this.  What a bunch of losers!

8. I wanted a spiritual retreat while here.  Lots of quiet time to pray, reflect and listen to God and grow because of this.

9. I wanted to better understand the Colombian people and appreciate them for their many fine and warm qualities instead of just demonizing them for being atrocious drivers and jerks in public (which unfortunately many of them are!).

Gentle Reader, I am very pleased to report success, at times overwhelming success, in all of these categories and I really hope and expect that I can carry home with me something positive and of enduring value from the month I have spent here.

I also discovered another fine park yesterday.  I have for some time been curious about exploring the other side of the Humedal Cordoba.  I am pleased to report that there is a  huge and extensive manicured park full of trees that extends for some distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment