Saturday 12 March 2016

One Friendly Cat In Bogota

Bogota is not a friendly city and it seems even more unfriendly to me than last year.  Or maybe I`ve changed.  People seem even more suspicious of others and indifferent but it could be just my perception.  I did meet a friendly cat yesterday, a calico.  I was wandering through a quiet nicely appointed residential neighbourhood when I heard meowing from behind a metal gate.  The cat wanted to be petted so I petted her through the gate.  I already had been in the Centro Comercial Niza which is kind of like the Metrotown Mall in Spanish but nicer where I passed an hour in the Oma Cafe with my sketchbook and a snack.  I already mentioned that Oma is a local chain, kind of like a Colombian Tim Horton`s, but more like a White Spot, I think.  I also went wandering through one of those beautiful wild areas that are usually off limits to tourists.  It is a forested wetland where the Rio Negro flows into (remember that smelly river I told you about with the beautiful park that suggests a very good-looking person who seldom bathes?)  The wetland isn`t at all smelly by the way and there is a lovely forest with trails.  It covers a fair distance and I would like to explore it further.  I suppose I should be on the lookout for ``bad people`` in that kind of place, but honestly if I was going to be that afraid of running into ``bad people`` I would have stayed at home in Vancouver.  The wetland, called Humedel Cordoba borders on a nice quiet neighbourhood which is also pleasant for walking around in.

On the way back I was going to stop in one of the neighbourhood cafes but it was la hora de comida and everything was packed so I went back to my bed and breakfast where I had time to put a guilt trip on Andres, the husband of the couple who run the place.  In the morning I discovered that the front gate had been left open and, given Myriam`s penchant for trying to find me in the wrong for things I thought it prudent to advise one of them about the gate.  I also told Andres why: that I have a legitimate fear that I`m going to be blamed for it.  He seemed to understand and to accept my little rebuke.  He is easy going by the way and his wife is making an effort to be more agreeable.  Still, sometimes it`s like walking on eggshells.   I`m still otherwise enjoying the place and making a point to go to sleep and get up earlier so I can have my breakfast in peace without having to wake up to the racket of other guests.

I went for coffee in the afternoon in the neighbourhood following the Hora de Comida.  I have picked a hangout.  It is a small place called Pat`s Bakery and the owner is a Peruvian living in Bogota.  He`s really nice to talk to and it`s great practicing Spanish with him.  I also have a warm spot for Peruvians.  It seems I got in there just in time for yet another storm.  Others came huddling in for shelter.  While finishing a drawing I noticed too well dressed guys with bad energy working on their laptops together.  There was a huge deafening thunderclap overhead and we all kind of jumped,.   I mentioned to them that we never get this kind of weather in Vancouver and I got cold and hostile looks from them both as they resumed their business.  One of them left just after the girlfriend of the other guy came in.  Just one look at the girlfriend gave me a little more context about the two guys.  Try to imagine a life-size Barbie doll that speaks Spanish.  That`s right Gentle Reader, and I will bet you dollars to donuts that she has a points rewards card with her plastic surgeon.  And collects airmiles whenever she sees him.  I`m kind of wondering if these guys might be involved in some kind of illegal activity, maybe cyber-crime or maybe they`re just a couple of ruthless businessmen who love money.  And you know, in Colombia, money is king, queen, and sovereign lord and master.

The more I see the way people interract or refuse to interact in Bogata the more I am reminded of Margaret Thatcher`s famous saying, ``There is no such thing as society, only individuals and their families``.  In Dame Thatcher`s case I think she did everything she could to make this reality by how far she went to dismantle things in Great Britain, especially for the most vulnerable citizens.  She was also best friends with Agosto Pinochet with whom I imagine she is currently enjoying sharing tea and rather over-toasted crumpets in hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment