Saturday 5 March 2016

Saturday Morning In Pasadena

That is the name of the neighbourhood where I am staying.  It is kind of upper middle class by Colombian standards, middle middle class by Canadian.  There is a great network of parks throughout this smallish barrio and white houses with terracotta roofs behind metal fences.  The flowers are abundant, luxuriant and everywhere: hibiscus, bougainvillea, clockvine (gigantic surfaces of bright orange flowers covering walls.  I have just been grocery shopping.

I would advise all of you to please not ask me about the food in Colombia for the following reasons: 1. I´m vegetarian and meat, poultry and seafood are widely consumed here. 2. I am generally not eating in restaurants to reduce costs and maintain proper nutrition and 3. I do a lot of my grocery shopping from the generously supplied salad bar in one of the local supermarket chains which provides all the food groups including hard boiled eggs, beans and cheese for protein.  I am also taking care of my own breakfast, purchasing fruit, juice, cheese, bread, milk, cereal etc.  This helps me feel less like  a visitor and it also keeps me reasonably busy and self-disciplined.  I do miss cooking but I will have plenty of time to do that when I get home.  I am also claning my bathroom, daily, just like I do at home.  Yes, Gentle Reder, your humble servant is a neat freak.

It is very pleasant having the tropical garden next to my room and this morning I sat quietly at the table after breakfast watching for birds.  I still haven´t seen any hummingbirds but I am patient, there is a hummingbird feeder in the garden and plenty of hibiscus.

It is at times a bit of a challenge negotiating space with my hosts, not for lack of generosity on their part but fear on my part of getting underfoot of them.  They seem to enjoy having me with them and sometimes we have moments to pause to chat though as university professors (Myriam teaches anthropology and Andres teaches political science) they´re not around very much and I often have the place to myself.

I have figured out that the purpose of this trip is primarily spiritual retreat and I have decided to not get too involved with other people´s stuff while I´m here though I am looking forward to a few coffee visits.  My room is like a refuge.  It is small simple and perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment