Thursday 10 March 2016

Under The Umbrella

First, a note to the Dutchman.  I do not appreciate repeat comments,  You wanted an explanation for why I did not buy at least one chocolate bar from the street kid.  I already gave you an explanation in one of my posts  http://aaronbenjaminzacharias.blogspot.com.co/2016/03/jardin-botanico.html.  Here it is, John, if you care to refresh your memory.  Try to open your mind a little, eh?  I`m sure that even for you it wouldn`t be that difficult.  And I do not appreciate the guilt trip!

Now on with the show, this is it.  The weather in Bogota, like a lot of the people who live here, is pretty wonky.  I bring my best friend, my big golf umbrella with me everywhere, no matter how blue the sky when I set out in the morning.  We`ve had two amaxing storms within twenty-four hours, one two nights ago near midnight and another yesterday afternoon.  The most intense and pelting rain with all the special effects, thunder, lightning and thunder-claps.  I am beginning to wonder how the weather and climate in a region helps shape the character of the peoiple and the culture. When I notice the sky darkening in a certain way I know it is time to run for cover as I did yesterday in Uzaquen.  I was in the cafe for just ten minutes and suddenly the heavens were opened, as it were, and we all kind of huddled, a bit fearfully I think, waiting for this wonder of extreme nature to run its course.

It was still raining a little when I left and there was flooding in many places.

I saw the owner this morning, for the first time since Monday. I have been trying to avoid her, just feeling a little too much pressure from her lately.  I was seated at a patio table munching on breakfast when she stepped outside and screamed with fright when she saw me. (this also happened last week) I looked at her, smiled, and calmly replied in Spanish: ``¿Myriam, no recordaste que estoy aqui?`` or Myriam, you forgot that I`m here.  I am certain now that she is carrying some kind of trauma which also makes her less threatening and stimulates me to be compassionate with her.  So it`s almost like I`m at work again, but really I think any work that involves compassion is something that has to be played out in all areas of life.  That said, I think we will be getting on okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment