Sunday 13 March 2016

Second Sunday In Bogota

I`m not going to write anything about yesterday because nothing happened, really.  It was quiet everywhere and nothing unusual happened in my whereabouts, though I could well be mistaken and simply I wasn`t paying attention.  Today has been a bit different.  I went into a still unfamiliar neighbourhood and found myself seated in an upstairs cafe called Cafe Aljaba (I think that`s the name, anyway).  There were huge colourful paper roses all over the place and at least a half dozen young twenty somethings who all looked like art students hanging out, playing music (one was constantly strumming a ukelele) and also asking me questions about my art since I was working on a drawing while there.  Now, I do not draw in public for attention (speaking of drawing attention to myself!) and it really doesn`t matter to me if anyone notices what I`m doing or not though the interraction is usually pleasant and enjoyable when people do take notice.  After nearly an hour or so a bunch of people started pouring out of an adjoining room, where it turns out a church service was taking place.  I made enquiries and it turns out this cafe is part of a local community church and I`ve been invited to participate.  I do like the feel of the place, and honestly those young people really were reminding myself of an earlier self when I was in my late teens so I think I will check the place out even if I am on a three year vacation from church.  But I`m only here for another two Sundays so what the hell.  It is also a nice cafe and they are open throughout the week and yes I do intend to come back.  I chatted briefly with one of the members who is a Colombian young woman who speaks fluent English and you know something, Gentle Reader?  I have spoken almost no English since coming here two weeks ago and I found I had to ask her to be as patient with my English as I hope she would be with my Spanish.

After that I took a long walk beside the Rio Negro.  Now I need to make a correction here.  The river I was previously referring to as the Rio Negro, I think is really called Rio Molino, the one that reminds me of a very good looking person who seldom bathes since it is so smelly.  Well, Rio Negro is no lavender field either and it isn`t quite as nice but still a worthy hike.  And it is right next to yet another military base.  A huge one.  There is even what looks like a big brick church in the complex.  Do you reckon some of them soldier boys might even be praying for their enemies?  I also noted quite an abundance of black vultures in the area.  Go figure!  They even have a few horses, beautiful brown ones.  Horses rank with cats and birds as among my favourite animals.  Sorry, dog lovers, nothing personal, eh?  Speaking of dogs, in another park it was just full of dogs and their humans.  It reminded me of Vancouver with all the barking and stuff and Bogotano dog owners are generally just as brainless and irresponsible with their canines as many of their counterparts in Vancouver.  I really don`t understand why so many people who live in densely populated neighbourhoods think they should have a dog, given that this many dogs, especially the larger breeds, does impact on the quality of life for everyone.  I`m not a dog hater by the way, I can take `em or leave them and there are a few breeds and certain mutts that I positively love

Since then it`s been business as usual.  Dragging my ass a bit and feeling irritable because my sleep pattern is changing again and I am really taking care to not take it out on the people around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment