Sunday 24 July 2016

I Am Not A NIMBY, But...

Hello
It is a warm summer day and I have to keep my window closed.  Why?  It's because one of your tenants insists on playing his music, very loud, and the bass vibrates into my unit in the building next door (I live in the building next door).  This tenant, and I suspect others, has been an ongoing problem for well over a year.  No matter what is done this individual insists on inconveniencing me and other tenants in both buildings who have a right to peace and quiet in our own homes.  I have contacted you people frequently about this.  At first you were supportive.  Lately you have been dismissive.  I think this is deplorable.

The good news: Some of the staff at Granville Residence is supportive and helpful.  One, this past Friday evening was even so kind as to meet me in my building parkade down below so I could direct him to where the noise was coming from.  He was able to pinpoint the source then went to address the offending tenant.  I found him to be very kind, considerate and helpful.  He was not able to hear the noise from the building corridor for one simple reason.  Often your tenants play their music by their open windows so they don't get detected by staff and can still torment the neighbourhood.  I wonder if this is intentional?

As I already said this is a constant problem, it is chronic and there are many more enjoyable ways I can think of spending time in my apartment than having to make phone calls about inconsiderate idiots like him.  I am calling on the City of Vancouver to do something about this in a way that there can be a lasting solution to this problem.  To continually subject other renters to this garbage is unconscionable and as citizens who live and rent here we also have a right to peace and quiet.

I am not a NIMBY by the way.  I am a mental health peer support worker and many of my clients struggle with addictions.  A few of them might even live in your facility.  I agree that they also have a right to housing.  However, you, as the elected administration that governs this city also have an obligation to ensure that these tenants integrate well into the community and you have an obligation to the rest of us (we vote, by the way) to ensure that our right to peace, quiet and safety is not jeopardized by individuals who are poorly equipped to co-exist in society.

I understand and am well-versed in the needs and challenges that confront many of your tenants: mental health, addictions, brain injuries, fetal alcohol, spectrum disorder, childhood abuse and lives of poverty and marginalzation, etcetera.  By the same token, if you are going to get these people off the street and into housing, then you are going to have to implement policies to ensure that the quality of life for the rest of us is not being jeopardized for their sake.

The door swings both ways.  And may I remind you again, I vote.

I will be featuring this email in my blog today and will also publish any replies that I might happen to receive from you.
all the best
aaron  
Please check my website: http://thesearepaintings.googlepages.com

No comments:

Post a Comment