Monday 25 July 2016

The Power Of Small

I was listening to the CBC today on the radio, as I do every day, and heard one person on a program comment about so-called white male privilege.  Uh-huh.  I am still waiting to  feel the love.  I have never know privilege in any form whatsoever for being a white male, which, in the most strictly demographic sense, I am.

I have never earned much above minimum wage at difficult and often unsafe (though often meaningful and interesting) jobs.  I never was able to finish university because of pressing economic concerns.  I never enjoyed a happy or healthy family environment.  I have always felt alone and often unsupported in the world.  I have never found a market or an audience for my art or my writing.  I live in a government subsidized apartment.  I am one of the invisible, the overlooked of this world.

I am neither complaining nor feeling sorry for myself.  I know that God has me where I am for a reason.  I accept that the circumstances of my life are always going to be constrained and humble.  I realize that my talents and contributions, however good or admirable, are going to be eclipsed by others more able, more gifted and better connected.

None of this bothers me.  I have no family but I am surrounded by other human beings, each as loved and valued by God as I am.  I have been able to make do and make good of my limited resources.  I have opted to do well in my life, in my work, my art, writing and my relations with others.  I have also chosen to continue to be a voice for others who suffer the same marginalization and worse .  I will continue to believe and celebrate the love of God as he reveals himself to me every day of my life.  I believe in the Power of Small and that it is out of the small, insignificant and silent places that the transforming and redeeming power of Christ is released into this broken and wounded world from the lives of those whom it has broken and wounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment