Saturday 23 July 2016

Pokeman WHO?

Before I proceed with my little essay, Gentle Reader, I would first like to give a shout out to Russia.
Hey, you guys, I don't know whether I should feel flattered or menaced by all the hits I have been getting from your country the last few days.  If your intentions are innocent and you are actually interested in what I have to write about, or if you want to practice your English this way, then go for it.  Otherwise, please find something else to do.  This is beginning to creep me out a little and yes I have been reporting you to Microsoft.

That said, I have decided to write a little bit about the current Pokeman Go craze that seems to be the current lifeline for the empty vacuous souls who really don't have much of a life, which is to say, an awful lot of people.

I just heard this morning on a radio program an interview with an individual whose name or occupation somehow escapes me, but he was singing the praises of Pokeman Go to his patient radio host.  That it seems to be our current great hope for Western Civilization: it gets people outside, away from their desks, their TV, their computers, their whatever, even though they still have to bring with them their precious little phones in order to play.  It gets them exploring neighbourhoods and areas they would never otherwise set foot it.  Like, it's never occurred to any of these zombie cyborgs to actually go for a walk for the simple reason and pleasure of exploring new places, without needing an electronic prop for an excuse?  It gets them meeting other Pokeman players and they sometimes even talk to each other.  Well, whatever happened to saying hi for the hell of it and maybe letting a friendship develop from just being friendly without excuses or agendas?  It gives them a chance to get exercise.  So, we don't have enough gyms and yoga studios in this city of narcissists?

Full disclosure: I have never played a computer game in my life.  Why not?  They simply do not interest me.  Or should I say that I already have a life.  I love the here and now, the immediate, the experience of being in direct contact with nature, with other people, with wildlife, pets, with the city.  I don't need the stimulus of a computer game to keep me mentally engaged.  I am already mentally engaged: with life.  I write every day, I read and communicate with others in two languages: English and Spanish, I draw and I paint, I travel, I pay special attention to world and current events, I enjoy music, take classes and learn new things, I have many good friends, I reach out to people and I enjoy my occupation.  How could I possibly, or even want to, fit in a computer game when my mind, my life and my soul are already full, active and overflowing with good things and that I already am totally engaged with life.

To the rest of you I say this: go ahead and enjoy your Pokeman Go.  But I still think you're all pretty pathetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment