Tuesday 8 November 2016

Countdown

Gentle Reader, I hope this will be the last time I will ever feel compelled to mention any US election on these pages.  I have long considered politics to be a less than high calling.  For a long time I refused to even vote since to me the only one worthy of my vote would never stoop so low as to run for public office.  While waiting for the outcome of this most historic, most hysterical and most hysterically and historically ugly election in any long memory I shall be moving back and forth to my keyboard to provide an update.  So far it seems clear that the Dump`s only version of a fair election is one that he wins.  He has already threatened one lawsuit today, in Nevada I believe, for alleged voter fraud.  I only wish that large, bloated whiny spoilt rich over aged brat would once and for all shut his repulsive trap and give all our ears a rest.

The first results can often be very discouraging.  The Dump is enjoying a twenty-four percent lead to Hillary`s three percent.  Of course the results have all come in from Dumb-Ass America, which is to say the traditional Republican heartland of the US South, so there is no surprise here.  I have to say that this is the only US election I have ever paid close attention to.  We in Canada are the mouse living next door to an elephant so of course we are going to have to notice.  We have no choice.  Still, this is alarming.  Never has the US presented a more overwhelmingly frightening presidential candidate as the Dump.  If he wins the international ramifications are going to be huge: from trade, to war, to irreversible global environmental degradation to all-out nuclear war.  It is frightening and sad that so many people of voting age in the world`s most powerful country have allowed their reptilian brain such full control over their judgment.  And anyone with experience working with others can tell you how difficult and often impossible to argue rationally with anyone whose thinking is dominated by fear, anger, hate and rage.

I am concerned about the threats of many well-educated Americans to move here to Canada should the Dump be elected.  It isn`t that I wouldn`t welcome them.  I  have three dear friends in the US: two in LA and one in New York.  I for one would love to welcome them here should they choose Vancouver.  I am only concerned that the resulting brain drain in the US could make things historically even worse for that country as the basket full of deplorables is only allowed to grow and increase.  Nature abhors a vacuum.  And there are a lot of empty spaces in those poor unused minds just waiting to be filled.

I have shut off the radio.  I cannot gut the sound of the Dump`s voice.  A grating, whining, angry, hateful, scowling yell that cannot be rationally addressed.  Better to know when to protect ourselves, Gentle Reader.  At the very worst, if he does win the election there isn`t a lot he can do here in Canada, outside of invoking trade policies to make us miserable.  Unless he proves to be a little more than we reckoned possible to be like a certain Austrian born despot with a weird moustache and bad hair, and a similar patent for yelling irrationally and screaming public hate, quite a few years ago in a country in central Europe...

I just checked Google Elections.  The Dump is still leading but Hillary is catching up.  I refuse to turn on the radio because I don`t want to be in a state of perma-anguish and whenever they play the Dump`s voice I get very upset.  I never imagined there would be ever a worse contender for the Oval Office than Dubya.  In the meantime, I have just enjoyed an early supper of homemade pea soup with homemade bread while watching an episode of All In The Family, which I am still binge-watching these days and is an excellent therapeutic entertainment considering everything else right now...

Well...It looks like the Dump is already getting set to use Hillary as toilet paper.  Still, it ain`t over yet.  On the other hand, it would appear that Melania Dump has already picked out the curtains to go with the new upholstery in the Oval Office.  Ha! And to think this unlikely first lady also posed in the nude.  (leave those search engines alone, boys!)  I would imagine that now this aging faked-up bimbo collects air miles with her plastic surgeon...

I have just turned off the radio after listening for the last half hour to election updates.  Depressing.  Time for another episode of All In The Family.  God bless YouTube...

I`m done.  I`m not waiting up for the results.  I`m tired, bored, frustrated and saddened by what is going on.  It still looks like Hillary could make a turn around.  Even if she doesn't, even if the Dump does settle his vile presence in the Oval Office we can still hope for the best.  He might soften some of the ugly rhetoric he's spent the past year and a half offending, frightening and insulting our intelligence with.  We don't know what's going to happen.  Even if it is happening in the US of A it is not my country and whatever the outcome we are going to go on living our lives the best way we can and we are going to go on caring for one another and taking even better care of one another.  This is Canada, the country where we apologize when someone steps on our foot.

My heart goes out to my dear American friends who are going to be impacted by the outcome of this historically bizarre election and I will continue to reach out to them in support and love...

Good night, Gentle Reader...

No comments:

Post a Comment