Sunday 20 November 2016

My First Petition

I have been on the mail list for Avaaz for a few years now, and I have signed a lot of petitions.  Now, for the first time, I am circulating one of my own, about homelessness.  It is with a particular goal in mind.  Here in Canada, global beacon for human rights and fairness and compassion, there is no enshrined legislation that guarantees housing as a fundamental human right.  In a country this wealthy, so fair, just, and ah-shucks, so downright boy scout and girl guide NICE, this is why homelessness is still a problem.  Because our government can get away with it. This is why that weasel, Paul Martin, in 1994, was able to so easily scrap our national housing strategy in the name of neoliberal economics, opening the way to epidemic homelessness in this country, which every year gets worse and worse.  Because, we who are vulnerable to homelessness, have no legal protection.

Today I have enjoyed a pot of homemade cocoa made from scratch in the comfort of my little affordable apartment, followed by a pot of black bean chili that I made, also from scratch.  To think that such simple and homespun pleasures are coming to resemble more and more a privilege, so scarce and difficult has basic affordable housing become.  I was once homeless myself, and I so appreciate what I have now: a roof over my head.  And a bed to sleep in.  And good landlords.  And (mostly) good neighbours.  I also suffer from survival guilt.

Having a place to live in is becoming increasingly precious in this most obscenely expensive city where I live and more and more middle class residents are feeling the heat.  They are becoming vulnerable to homelessness, just like us poor folk.  It was inevitable and it didn't have to be.

In nine days I have amassed a whopping thirty signatures on my petition.  I am sending you the link, Gentle Reader, because I expect you to sign it and to send it off to ten other people who will sign it, and also to ask them to each forward my petition to ten more people, and so on.

Here is the link: https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Canadian_Prime_Minister_Justin_Trudeau_make_housing_a_Canadian_human_right/

No comments:

Post a Comment